Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i am new to the forum, and wonder if anyone is able to offer me some advice on how i go about changing our Kennel Club registered dogs to the French version, LOFF... i think.

We have two dogs that live here in France with us. We bought them in UK, and are fully registered, vaccined, chipped and pet passports etc. We bought the dogs so that we could breed them, thus making a little income from them. However, to breed and sell their puppies, we need to have them registered to the French system. Does anybody know how we go about doing this?

We have asked our French vet, who was very helpfull and emailed 'Club Francais de Beagle', but with no reply from them. We have also called the Kennel Club, who were not very helpfull. We have trawled many French websites, but cannot find out what we neet to do to swap their registration.

Has anybody bought a French registered dog? Do you have any telephone numbers that we could possible try? or even better, has anyone re-registered their Kennel Club dog in France???

Many thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I was wondering if you received a reply to this post. I am in a similar situation, so any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
564 Posts
You have to go through the kennel club of your dogs breed to have your dogs "selected" for breeding. You also have to register your kennel with the FCI.be. I image you have to do the second thing first. But start at the kennel club for your dogs breed.

So for the first poster, she was in the right place. There are usually private individuals so getting around to answering email inquiries is probably last on the list of things they have to do. Your best bet is to go to a club meeting/show or get on the phone to them.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I am in the same position so any advice/help would be very welcome!

Thanks
The answers are actually above. Go to your kennel club in the first instance. In fact they have international links with other controlling bodies and can provide you with quite a bit of information. Also be aware that breed standards can vary across the international regimes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We did this on information for importing our dog. We were worried he might be on the banned list (he isn't) but needed to connect with French breeders who helped us navigate through to the Ministry of Agriculture for an official answer. We found that finding them on Facebook and connecting with them is a good way to communicate and, at least for our breed of dog, that the local breeders were enthusiastic and helpful. Besides just getting info we've made a couple friends. It's a little bit of a digression but may as well post for anybody who is wondering: purebred Dogue de Bordeaux's with pedigrees from a recognized pedigree association, like the American Kennel Club (AKC), may be imported into France with no restrictions and need not be muzzled. Any other type of mastiff, including a non-purebred and pedigreed Dogue de Bordeaux, is banned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Although I have seen this happen, it's been a few years since it was done. I'll try in non-doggy person about what was needed.

First, my wife arranged to have this dog presented to some official, who decides if this dog meets the requirements of that breed. In our case, we had a lovely Lab from a good kennel in the UK.

This official is giving this check, during a local exposition of dogs. It was not part of the exposition but it's a side part of this day's happenings.

If your dog is okay, he will sign an offical document and then you can send this to another organization of France-in our case, for the Labrador people. Then some more papers can be arrange and give a proof of the dog being LOF.

My wife is out training dogs right now but when she comes home, I'll try to find more details. Her club send to have owners get this paperwork arranged.

With our dog, this official wasn't happy that we've bought a UK dog and brought him to France. He told us that there are plenty of enough Labs here in France. So, be ready for somebody to try to refuse your dog approved.

Look through some of the doggy magazines and see when there are some exhibitions near to where you live. Check the details and you'll find something about the dog qualification system. There's a special wording for this.

I just phoned my wife. The wording for this step is "Confirmation". The paperwork from this guy and you send this to your breed organization. They can give you the proper paperwork for giving your dog LOF.

Find a few exhibitions and look for the "Confirmation". There should be more info about what to do. There were several other dogs that day for confirmation too.

Good luck.

Blackduff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.