Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
It is writ that if a spouse helps with the business on a regular basis, they are supposed to register as a conjoint. It's the difference between giving hubbie a hand with his admin now and then when he's up against his deadline for declaring and he's working on an urgent job; and taking the admin off of his plate completely and on to yours. Who's going to know, but I think you need be aware just so you don't go and say the wrong thing to the wrong person (ie URSSAF, if you ever speak to them on his behalf - do not say, I do all the admin).
Does that mean you'll also be doing his invoices? If so, you'll need to separate the main d'oeuvre from any materials he buys himself and re-sells to the customers. These are two different items, they need to appear separately on the invoices and you need to declare them on two different lines because cotisations are charged at different rates.
Sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know but it's always worried me that anglo saxons took it too literally when AE was touted as "simple". I think that to a French mind, when it's anything to do with business "simple" means "As a reasonably intelligent person I should be able to get my head round this if I read everything carefully and put my mind to it" and to an anglo-saxon mind it means "It's a no-brainer, no admin involved and no business skills needed". I guess it's all relative.

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
Good points, ET. Though I was thinking that, if whatever statut the spouse is registered under is a micro-entreprise, that's a one-person set-up and probably doesn't allow for any recognition of "expenses" - including for "hired help." OTOH, under a full business form of business entity, the conjoint statut requires that the business pay for retirement benefits that the conjoint collaborateur accumulates. As you say, the anglo-saxon concept of "simple" seems to vary a bit from the French understanding of the term.

You're reminding me why I am so grateful every day that we are now retired and no longer have to worry about all that URSSAF stuff.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Those are good points EuroTrash, never even thought of those. I won't be doing anything except one invoice a month (he will be working for his former boss as a painter) and I will make a template for him and stand over his shoulder for him to do it subsequently. There will be no supplies to add since his boss will pay for all of that. And as for URSSAF, I will never be talking to them in my lifetime, did that, and will never subject myself to that again, that will be on him. I agree totally with Bev about being retired and not having to deal with all that admin stuff. I told my husband about the interactions with the administration, but I don't think he fully understands what that involves; although he should since I'm the one who did all the admin stuff for his retirement and that was a big mess dealing with his two retirement regimes. His aim is to only work about 10 days a month, but his boss has tons of work so I don't see him working just those 10 days. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I won't be doing anything except one invoice a month (he will be working for his former boss as a painter)
Is that allowed over here ?

I only ask as I know that back home it's something that HMRC have clamped down heavily on, insisting that such a worker is actually an employee, as UBER and others in the GIG economy have found to their cost.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Is that allowed over here ?
Nope. If you google salariat déguisé you will find plenty about it. It's regarded as social security fraud.
But people do it.
It's the employer that gets clobbered if it gets picked up, not the employee.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Nope. If you google salariat déguisé you will find plenty about it. It's regarded as social security fraud.
But people do it.
It's the employer that gets clobbered if it gets picked up, not the employee.
I was about to post the same thing.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My husband is a painter of apartments, so when I went into the URSSAF site they asked what your professional category is and I checked that box and that's when they sent me to the Arts et Metiers site. The reason my husband isn't filling out the application is because his computer skills are sort of non-existent and I'm stuck doing it. I have a feeling I must have signed up to create a company instead of auto-entrepreneur or else his category of work makes it impossible to be an auto-entrepeneur, which is strange because many of his friends have done this regime. He just talked to his former boss and the accountant is at his office today, but alas he goes for his second Pfizer dose today, but the accountant will be back Friday so he will figure it out for him then. If this entails him setting up a company, he will not do it, as he saw all the problems I went through when I was working as a professional liberale. Thanks everyone for your help.
Is it possible that the box you checked is for an artist, i.e. someone who paints pictures rather than a painter and decorator?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
EuroTrash, didn't know that. He will just find other clients to work for, that's not a problem for him.

Nomoss, when you go into the URSSAF site they ask you what you will be registering as, and there was a drop-down list and I put interior painter buildings and that's when they sent me to the Arts et Metier site. I'm sure the accountant will fix it for him. And if not, he will just enjoy his retirement.

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have seen a list of the metiers included in Arts et Metiers' remit and it includes house painters, interior painters and other similar artisans involved in home decor and decoration. <g>

For Solost, just remember that, as a micro-entreprise, he doesn't get to deduct any of his expenses or costs - those are kind of baked into the tax rate when you declare your gross revenues. But hey, if he's having a good time what the heck! Gets him out of the house now and then, and keeps him happy and amused.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
EuroTrash, didn't know that. He will just find other clients to work for, that's not a problem for him.

Nomoss, when you go into the URSSAF site they ask you what you will be registering as, and there was a drop-down list and I put interior painter buildings and that's when they sent me to the Arts et Metier site. I'm sure the accountant will fix it for him. And if not, he will just enjoy his retirement.
It was just a thought.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
It's not about how many different people you work for, it's about whether those people are clients or employers. You can work part-time for lots of employers, but that doesn't make them clients.
But as Bev says, what the heck.
For invoicing and keeping accounts, you might want to look at the Auto Entrepreneur et Micro Entrepreneur - Logiciel GRATUIT de facturation website. It's about as simple an invoicing tool app as you can get, it's free as long as you don't mind it saying "édité sur myae.fr" at the bottom (it never bothered me) and you'd be sure you have all the correct mentions légales on your invoices and a fully compliant papertrail in case you're ever asked.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts