Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone can help us. We are resident in France and purchased a used car with French plates. However we have to register the vehicle and Carcassonne is the closest to where we live (Limoux). Could someone please advise where we need to go in Carcassonne to do this?

Thanking you

·
Administrator
51,970 Posts
This is the Service Public page (in French): Acquisition d'un véhicule d'occasion en France - Service-public.fr

Basically, you can go to any prefecture you like - or you can handle the transfer of the registration by mail. (Check the website for the prefecture closest to you to get the exact address.)

The table at the bottom of the page I cited has a list of what documents you need to take with you or to send in.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Both above answers are right, but the law changed recently and a lot of sous-prefectures are no longer handling change of carte grise, having farmed it out to dealerships.

You should have been given a change of ownership form and the carte grise, with the corner cut off, and a controle technique document dated within the last 6 months. You need to take/send these with your ID and proof of residence and a bit of cash (dependent upon age and hp of the car). Also if the car has been hitherto registered under the old numberplate system, showing the Department in the last 2 figures, it will be given a new number and you'll have to get new plates made up & fitted - most car parts outlets can do that for you (at a cost).

If you phone the prefecture or check on line, you should be able to get a list of places in your area that can officially deal with the paperwork for you - they're not supposed to charge for the service, but ......

Courage mes braves! lol

H

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am hoping someone can help us. We are resident in France and purchased a used car with French plates. However we have to register the vehicle and Carcassonne is the closest to where we live (Limoux). Could someone please advise where we need to go in Carcassonne to do this?

Thanking you
Hi Ian, I took the old Carte Gris, CT cert. water bill (as proof of address)and passport to the Mairie. They sent everything off for us. We had the new numberplates made up at HyperU once we got the new Numero d'Immatriculation.
Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.