Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this on the other forum so apologies for boring the pants off you but just in case somebody here knows something....

I'll be as brief as I can: My in-laws, who have lived in Spain for 6 years, have decided to upgrade their SKY account and get a new card. I have no idea how they were using the old one other than I suspect they brought it with them when they left the UK. Recently the SKY had to be replaced - ours arrived a couple of months ago - and perhaps theirs has stopped working. Their account does not exist as far as SKY is concerned and they have paid nothing (since leaving the UK) up until now for a very basic service. Two days ago thay asked us if they could register with SKY using our UK address as their own. We are already SKYTV customers. We told them not to do so until we had made enquiries into what might go wrong etc. However, yesterday they announced that they had gone ahead and signed up with SKY using our address in UK as their own. Any issues so far? I thought that a SKY engineer had to register the card with the box they are using and I also thought a telephone line was necessary, at least for the first year. The other issue is that we are moving to Spain May/June next year but will definitely be leaving our current address in May. We are renting, having sold our house in readiness for moving abroad, and I am aware that one of the rental agreements is that we must cancel all utility, telephone, internet and TV (cable or SKY) contracts before we leave so where does that leave them? I don't anticipate any new tenants would be interested in letting two unkown people use their address and I suspect that there may be issues if the new tenants decide to sign up for a SKY contract themselves.

Bit long-winded but can anyone offer advice, please. Obviously we are a very annoyed that they decided to go ahead and order the card without our agreement but then that is very typical of the kind of people they are. What should they have done???

Thanks

·
Registered
843 Posts
We had Sky in the UK and when we moved to Spain, we changed the address to a relative's. They already have sky, and my parents who live in Spain also use the same address for their Sky account. We have never had any problems with this arrangement, and it meant that when the new cards came we were able to forward them to Spain no problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We had Sky in the UK and when we moved to Spain, we changed the address to a relative's. They already have sky, and my parents who live in Spain also use the same address for their Sky account. We have never had any problems with this arrangement, and it meant that when the new cards came we were able to forward them to Spain no problem.
Similiar here, we have been here 7 years, registered with our son in UK...no problem. Got a new card recently, our son sent it out to us.
Remember, SKY actually know about us lot out here..(in Spain).
It is in their interest not to acknowledge us...they will be taxed according to their number of subscribers. better to pretend we don't exist. 1 million Brits out here, most with SKY...and they don't know about it????????????

·
Registered
715 Posts
Their account does not exist as far as SKY is concerned and they have paid nothing (since leaving the UK) up until now for a very basic service.
it depends what you mean by "basic service" - many channels on satellite can be received for free without subscription - BBC, ITV, C4, Five, Sky3, BBC News, Sky News, True MOvies and 200 plus others...

I thought that a SKY engineer had to register the card with the box they are using and I also thought a telephone line was necessary, at least for the first year.
For new installations in the UK then yes, the engineer has to instalklt he dish, box, and connection to the phoen line as part of the discounted installation agreement.

If they just ask for a card, then you do not need a phone line connection.

Once they getthe card, they may have to contact sky again to get their card paored tot heir sky box for it to be activated and work correctly.

The other issue is that we are moving to Spain May/June next year but will definitely be leaving our current address in May. We are renting, having sold our house in readiness for moving abroad, and I am aware that one of the rental agreements is that we must cancel all utility, telephone, internet and TV (cable or SKY) contracts before we leave so where does that leave them? I don't anticipate any new tenants would be interested in letting two unkown people use their address and I suspect that there may be issues if the new tenants decide to sign up for a SKY contract themselves..
Sky generally like only ONE Sky contract at an address. But a few cab be done by some "slight of hand" address redirection - ie your house is Number1, they register a new account at 1a...

Best move the card to an address you can control...saves having strangers access you r post, and sky account details.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. My main concern was the anger at them doing this without asking ouor permission first. And coupled with the fact that we are moving out of this house in May next year and under our agreement we have to cancel ALL contracts it would meant the new tenants here would find themselves with another Sky user they don't know (we sold our house a few years ago as we prepare to move to Spain). I think I am legally obliged to tell the Landlord that all contracts are terminated which would have to mean the outlaws sky contract too I guess :):D:clap2: which will please them no end :boxing:

As I mentioned on the other forum, they appear to have no interest in our move to Spain, rather odd since it is their daughter who is expecting their grandchild and they don't seem interested in being near her (him just in case we got the scan wrong lol). Just odd folk I guess. And whilst I am ranting about them, they love Marmite yet won't buy it in Spain coz it costs 3.5 euros. It's £2.89 here and they went back last week with 12 jars. Work the math!!!! They saved a bit but when you include minor things such as flights, car hire, petrol etc and yes, it appears that it was one of the major reasons for coming to England (not actually to seee their pregnant daughter - she was about 8th on the list) ....

OK you get the picture, I'm far from impressed with them but hey ho, it's a funny old world...

·
Registered
22,331 Posts
You can get Sky not only in Spain but in most other European countries so as Hombre said, add them to the hundreds of thousands of British immigrants to Spain who subscribe and it's a large slice of their revenue.
Technically, I believe Sky would be in breach of their contractual and licencing agreements with the UK Government were they to acknowledge the situatioon as it is so it's best not to draw it to their attention.
I use a friend's UK address as my son already has Gawd knows how many Sky services already - multi-room, HD -and he was recently contacted by Sky when he disconnected one of the phone lines.
My contract and I presume everyone else's commits me to having a UK landline for one year. Remember, an increasing number of subscribers are abandoning expensive BT landlines and switching to Skype etc. and mobiles. I think it costs an extra £10 pcm if you don't have a landline.
If I need to order extra channels, pay-per-view football etc. I order via my Sky on-line account.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.