·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am a male british by birth
i have an illigitimate daughter born 2002 in thailand with a thai mother
the child is a thai national i would like to register her as a british citezen
does anyone know if this is possible,
i would like to hear from anyone who is in the same posision as me and thire child was born before this 2006 date change in uk immigration laws.

G

·
Hi. from the following it looks as if it might not be easy, if you and the child's mother are not married. But it does say that the child can get British citizenship if the parents marry and the application is made before the child is 18.

If I were you I would contact the nearest British consulate and ask. Mine (Chiang Mai) was helpful, when registering my daughter last year. Easy for me though as although the parents weren't married, she was born in 2008.

British Citizenship by descent

'British Citizenship by descent' is the category for the children born outside the UK to a British citizen. Rules for acquiring British citizenship by descent depend on when the person was born.
[edit] From 1983

A child born outside the UK on or after 1 January 1983 will automatically acquire British citizenship by descent if either parent is a British citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of the birth.

* Only one parent needs to be British otherwise than by descent - either the father or the mother.
* An unmarried father cannot pass on British citizenship automatically in the case of children born before 1 July 2006. Although, if the parents marry subsequent to the birth, the child normally will become a British citizen at that point if legitimated by the marriage and the father was eligible to pass on British citizenship.
* Failing the above, the child can be registered as British if it would have been British if parents were married and application is made before the child is 18.

* Where the parent is a British citizen by descent additional requirements apply. In the most common scenario, the parent is normally expected to have lived in the UK for three years and apply for the child to be registered as a British citizen within 12 months of the birth.
* For British nationality purposes, the Isle of Man and Channel Islands are treated as though they were part of the UK.
* Before 21 May 2002, British Overseas Territories were treated as 'overseas' for nationality purposes. The exceptions were Gibraltar who were British citizens per the British Nationality Act 1981; and the Falkland Islands who were granted British citzenship following the Falklands War per the British Nationality (Falkland Islands) Act 1983 . For children born on or after 21 May 2002 in a British Overseas Territory (other than the Sovereign Base Areas of Cyprus) there is an entitlement to British citizenship on the same basis as UK-born children.
* Children born overseas to parents on Crown Service are normally granted British citizenship otherwise than by descent. In other words, their status is the same as it would have been had they been born in the UK.
* In exceptional cases, the Home Secretary may register a child of parents who are British by descent as a British citizen under discretionary provisions, for example if the child is stateless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i am a male british by birth
i have an illigitimate daughter born 2002 in thailand with a thai mother
the child is a thai national i would like to register her as a british citezen
does anyone know if this is possible,
i would like to hear from anyone who is in the same posision as me and thire child was born before this 2006 date change in uk immigration laws.
www . ukba . homeoffice . gov . uk / britishcitizenship / applying / applicationtypes / childregisteringasbritishcitizen

Provided that you (the father) are a UK citizen from birth born in the UK from british parents who were also born in the UK then even though your child was born before July 2006 you can still register your child as a UK citizen provided the mother agrees and will sign the forms - please see the above link. You should however check the rules that Thailand has surounding dual nationality because some countries do not allow dual nationality and if your child lives in Thailand and they(Thailand) reject your childs Thai citizenship upon registration in the uk then it will most likely cause problems. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts