Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, can I buy and register a car on my name if I am on a tourist visa here? I have an ARC and TIN-nr. and would like to buy a car.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Just a quick question, can I buy and register a car on my name if I am on a tourist visa here? I have an ARC and TIN-nr. and would like to buy a car.
Yes, as long as you are paying cash for the vehicle. Would be very hard as a foreign citizen to get or be granted credit in the Philippines.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Also do you already have a Filipino drivers license as they are no longer legally available to tourist. You get 90 days on you home country license.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also do you already have a Filipino drivers license as they are no longer legally available to tourist. You get 90 days on you home country license.
That's the next thing I have to arrange. I'm not sure how strict they are on the drivers license to tourist issue as it will take a while to arrange my visa. But meanwhile I need to drive, no other option...

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
That's the next thing I have to arrange. I'm not sure how strict they are on the drivers license to tourist issue as it will take a while to arrange my visa. But meanwhile I need to drive, no other option...
My understanding is that you must have and ACR card from immigration AND have been in country for at least one (1) year to get your first license now.
I got my first one here back in 1996 when all these new (silly) requirements didn't exist. Things really change over time.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My understanding is that you must have and ACR card from immigration AND have been in country for at least one (1) year to get your first license now.
I got my first one here back in 1996 when all these new (silly) requirements didn't exist. Things really change over time.
You need to have been in country for 1 month and can show a visa giving a further 1 year. Visit visas and Balikbayan visas don't show this, it would need to be a residence visa or longterm visa like study or work. The appropriate brown envelore would still get you and illegal license and you may never be challenged, do you want to take the risk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts