Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this email from Border Force. Not sure if it's genuine but this is what it said:

Dear xxxx

Registered Traveller is a new service launched by Border Force to give faster and more convenient entry to the UK for nationals from the US, Australia, Japan, Canada and New Zealand.

The service is already proving popular with members, who benefit from:

Access to ePassport gates at airports across the country
Use of the UK / EU queue at specified ports
A dedicated Registered Traveller lane at Gatwick Airport
Not needing to complete a landing card on arrival to the UK
No credibility interview with a Border Force officer.
Membership costs £70 and further details of eligibility and availability can be found online.

You can apply online now

Kind Regards

Registered Traveller Team

Does anyone know anything about this? Does this mean people with passports from these countries can enter the UK without speaking to an Immigration Officer at all?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The US has a similar "trusted traveller" program that is called Global Entry. It costs $100 for five years. It's been a real lifesaver, as there's a shortage if immigration control officers at Logan Airport here in Boston, and the wait in the queue can be hours. Global Entry members have a private queue with no wait.

My boyfriend finally signed up for it too, and when he went in for his interview, he was told that the UK was going to be introducing something similar to Global Entry, and that it would be reciprocal. We haven't heard anything official about this reciprocity, but looking forward to it!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can't believe though that you don't have to speak to an IO when you cross the border? Presumably if there is something wrong when you scan your passport like immigration history or any other red flags, would it just not let you through?

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
From the link that clever-octopus supplied:

It costs £70 to apply to use the service for 1 year. If your application is unsuccessful you’ll get £50 back.
I would imagine that they vet you and if you have immigration issues you probably don't qualify.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Eligible on Spouse visa?

Hi, Everyone,

I am in the UK on a settlement visa. Does anyone know if I quality for the Registered Traveller Program? I ask because when the program was launched earlier this year, settlement visas did not qualify. My friend had applied, paid the fee, and the government wrote back and said those types of visas did not qualify. It was a nightmare to get the full £70 refund. Technically, you should not be able to submit an application if your visa doesn't qualify for the program!

I received the same email directly from Border Force, so wanted to check if they have just expanded the visas that are allowed in the program. I noticed there is a 'family spouse' category in the visa list, but I believe that was there earlier this year as well.

Thanks for your help,

Diana

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Just gone through the website for registered traveller and spouse visa holder is eligible, but not if you have poor immigration history like denied entry.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
I qualified for it with a spouse visa, all they do is a background/immigration history check before you're approved. It took about 7 business days for me to get the approval email. Then you visit the UK through the "other passports" queue and they give you a membership card after a few questions. It's a very simple process but as Joppa states, it's only for travellers who have a pristine travel/immigration record.

You're essentially treated like a UK/EU citizen at the border. Quite nice, actually.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi all, arrived into London today (YAY FINALLY) and after getting through what felt like the worlds *longest* immigration queue I picked up a brochure about the above and was wondering if anyone here who is eligible had signed up?

https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller

This is the link if you've never heard of it before,

I'm pretty much 90% sold on the idea even if it just means not having to wait anywhere up to 60 minutes of wait time to clear customs :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have merged your thread with one that was already open on the same topic. Read through the other comments.
Ahh, sorry nyclon! Someone who is jet lagged probably shouldn't be on the Internet! Great to see the other replies here, once I've got my bank account sorted I'll be applying :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.