Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I find out if a charity is registered here in Spain - without actually asking the organisation itself?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an interesting question and has been raised on other forums but never with an answer so I have no idea. Have a look at Spain charities guide find a charity to donate or volunteer for child elderly homeless organizations and more. and see if the one you are looking at is listed there. I understand that the carity system in Spain is very similar to that in the UK and that they must have a registered number. Other than that I know nothing.
that's all I know too :(

if a charity is registered, & states it on their bumph/website in the UK it has to put its registration number - I know that cos I used to be admin. of a small one

there's one here I'm not sure about - the website says it's registered, but nowhere can I see a reg. number or anything 'official'............

I shall have a look at that link - thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I understand that the carity system in Spain is very similar to that in the UK and that they must have a registered number.
The only thing I would say to that is that it appears to be less costly to set up a charity in the UK if you are a non profit organisation and your yearly returns are under a certain amount.
We have found several charities operating in Spain are actually registered in the UK and it appears they are operating legally.
(of course I could be wrong...)

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only thing I would say to that is that it appears to be less costly to set up a charity in the UK if you are a non profit organisation and your yearly returns are under a certain amount.
We have found several charities operating in Spain are actually registered in the UK and it appears they are operating legally.
(of course I could be wrong...)
this one could be registered anywhere in Europe I guess............. but why wouldn't they put the reg. no on the website

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
this one could be registered anywhere in Europe I guess............. but why wouldn't they put the reg. no on the website
The obvious thing would be that they aren't registered

·
Registered
19,449 Posts
I think there is a register, but I can't find any mention of it anywhere. The charity that I colaborate with and which is internationally recognised doesn't have any kind of number or reference on its website either...
I expect there's something in the BOE. Mary should know...

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think there is a register, but I can't find any mention of it anywhere. The charity thta I colaborate with and which is an internationally recognised doesn't have any kind of number or reference on its website either...
I expect there's something in the BOE. Mary should know...
sounds like it's not a legal requirement then -it is in the UK.............

there must be a way of finding out :confused2:

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
OK I could be wrong (OH says I am most of the time) but my understanding is that it IS a legal requirement to be a registered charity in Spain, just like in UK.

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK I could be wrong (OH says I am most of the time) but my understanding is that it IS a legal requirement to be a registered charity in Spain, just like in UK.
yes - I would have thought it's a legal requirement to be registered, although when I did a bit of googling I came up with info to the contrary

which doesn't help me in finding out if this particular one is registered............. - or if the money is going where everyone thinks it is

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
yes - I would have thought it's a legal requirement to be registered, although when I did a bit of googling I came up with info to the contrary

which doesn't help me in finding out if this particular one is registered............. - or if the money is going where everyone thinks it is
Have a look at the WHOIS of the website.
Unless it is private (and why would a charity wish to be private....?) then you can find out the name of the owner of the website.
It may give you further clues...

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have a look at the WHOIS of the website.
Unless it is private (and why would a charity wish to be private....?) then you can find out the name of the owner of the website.
It may give you further clues...
I know who the owner is - I'm just not convinced it's really a charity :(

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Then you have no alternative but to ask them for details of their registration.
Not great I know....
I know....... everything I've found points to there being no governing body for charities in Spain - nor any registration requirement - just a CIF number, which is what registered companies have to have

I have no concrete reason to doubt these people - but I've felt uneasy since they first started & I can't see yet where they are spending the money that many local bars etc. have collected for them - or even where they could spend it, given the nature of the organisation

anyway - enough of my ramblings................ I'll get to the bottom of it somehow

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
My wife works (volunteers) for a local charity - PEPA. On their website it quotes a charity registration number "Registered Charity G.97646921"

They publish their financials on the web site.

Have you tried einforma dot com? With their CIF number, you get to see their published accounts.

·
Administrator
36,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife works (volunteers) for a local charity - PEPA. On their website it quotes a charity registration number "Registered Charity G.97646921"

They publish their financials on the web site.

Have you tried einforma dot com? With their CIF number, you get to see their published accounts.
I thought of that............ their CIF number isn't anywhere public either, as far as I can see :(

·
Registered
412 Posts
Registered charities

There appears to be no central register of charities in Spain - any number that is quoted usually refers to CIF registration which is more about tax than anything. Neither is there a body equivalent to the Charity Commission in the UK. In the UK if you wish to find out the proportion of money that goes to the cause and what is swallowed up in administration , it is a relatively easy matter. Also it is easy to find out the Officers' renumerations. None of this appears to be possible to do in Spain. Whilst there are a number of extremely honest charities, there have also been numerous examples of scam organisations which take the money and then disappear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am also looking into a strange case just like yours xabiachica and strangely enough it is your area of javea hmm i wonder if we are looking into the same "charity" my wife works with EMAUS here on the costa B she is going to ask one of the main players in that charity on how to investigate if its legit or not will keep you posted on the method used and i will also name and shame if this "charity" i am looking at if it turns out to be a con

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a difference in Spain between a Charity Foundation and an Association.

To set up a charitable foundation you need an asset base of around €30k and a board of trustees as prerequisites. The process takes around 12-18 months from beginning to end. You must register the name and you must publish your accounts annually. Committee members can be remunerated, staff can receive salary. There is high control over admin work.

You have to have a CIF No. to ensure that your charity does NOT pay tax on collections. It’s not a way of avoiding tax as the association must meet with certain criteria ie. must have audited accounts for inspection every 3 months if asked for.

If you are an association you need none of the above, (except the CIF) or as many as you feel you can cope with. i.e. no need to register name, no need to publish accounts. Because of the costs and manpower involved this is the way many 'charities' go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts