Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I own a house in Lliber near Jalon.

The next time we are in Spain we would like to sign on the Padrón at our local Ayuntamiento in Lliber and I think we know what documents we need to produce.

We then intend to sign onto the Register of EU foreigners as we might spend a lot more time in Spain in the near future.

I understand this is done at the police station but we don’t know where, Lliber, Jalon, Alicante?

Could anyone advise please?

Thank you

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts

The next time we are in Spain we would like to sign on the Padrón at our local Ayuntamiento in Lliber and I think we know what documents we need to produce.

We then intend to sign onto the Register of EU foreigners as we might spend a lot more time in Spain in the near future.

I understand this is done at the police station but we don’t know where, Lliber, Jalon, Alicante?

Thank you
As far as I know you do not sign on the padrón unless you live here full time?

Register if foreigners- ?

Someone else will pop along and either confirm or put me right.

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts

Thank you
Please don't register on the padrón unless you live in your house in Lliber, or at least spend more than half the year there - it's a list pf residents in the town, not property owners, & you could be storing up problems for yourselves by doing so, if you do at some future date move to Spain full time.

Similarly, unless you are in Spain for 90+ consecutive days, don't register on the list of EU residents

Take a look at the first post of http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/2725-faqs-lots-useful-info.html for more information.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a possibility that we may be there for 6 months at a time.

We are slightly worried about the long term effect of Brexit so we are attempting to hedge our bets so to speak as I am semi retired and my wife retires in the next 18months

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts

We are slightly worried about the long term effect of Brexit so we are attempting to hedge our bets so to speak as I am semi retired and my wife retires in the next 18months

You really can't " hedge" your bets. Either you are a resident of you are not. Those of us who have lived here for many years, and are registered as residents will, like you, have to see what pans out. I'm not being rude, really I'm not, I'm presuming you believe that as residents here you will fall into the pre Brexit rules for immigrants here, but you can't chose to be resident here and in the U.K. You can come for long holidays etc or you are resident here, but you can't be both.

Your best bet is to plan to move permanently before the deadline and like the rest of us, cross your fingers!

·
Registered
8,249 Posts

You do realise that in order to sign on the register of EU citizens resident in Spain, as you are not yet UK state pensioners you would both need to provide proof of comprehensive private health insurance without co-payments? When you take out a policy you are committing yourselves to paying the premiums for a full 12 months, it isn't something that can be taken out to tick a box on a form, then cancelled immediately afterwards.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You do realise that in order to sign on the register of EU citizens resident in Spain, as you are not yet UK state pensioners you would both need to provide proof of comprehensive private health insurance without co-payments? When you take out a policy you are committing yourselves to paying the premiums for a full 12 months, it isn't something that can be taken out to tick a box on a form, then cancelled immediately afterwards.
They will also need to supply proof of income!

·
Administrator
36,519 Posts

OK - if you're here 90+ consecutive days then you are required to register as resident. For that, you will have to show funds &/or income & also have healthcare provision, for the whole year as has been mentioned. And you can't just cancel it if you leave - you're committed to a 12 month contract.

If you do leave to return to the UK, you then need to 'unregister' from the EU residents list.

If you stay 183 days cumulative days, then yes, go on the padrón. You will also be tax resident & have to do a tax return here & pay tax on all your worldwide income. Even with the tax agreement between Spain & the UK, there's a very good chance that you will pay some tax in Spain on top of what you might already have paid in the UK, because allowances aren't as good here.

Of course, if you're tax resident in Spain, then you won't be tax resident (nor actually resident) in the UK any more, so will lose all the benfits of residency including access to the NHS.

So you see, you can't 'hedge your bets'. You have to make a decision as to where you actually live.... & BE resident there, physically & on paper

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Okay I think we all know where this thread is going to go. We keep returning to it over and over again mainly because there is a poster out there who will challenge the view that having residencia means Spain is your home. It really is pointless. Yes you CAN get residencia etc and only live here for less than 183 days the rest in the UK. Yes you can use the NHS.No you won't pay tax in Spain. Yes you CAN use the spanish healthcare if you pay SS ( only for 5 months ?) or have private insurance. However you CANNOT use your European Health Card to get residencia and you may be stopped trying to use it if you are found not be staying in spain temporary. Basically you CAN do it but you will be stopped if the authorities find out what you are trying to do. Now can we move on?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Several of my occasional neighbours, in La Cala, who have approached the Ayuntamiento about small alterations for their second homes in Spain......have been told that they must sign on the Padron, in order for their works to be approved.

They all live in the UK, coming out for the odd few weeks/one month......and are never in Spain for more than 6 months overall per annum.

The authorities are aware of this !! No wonder people are confused !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts