Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a french citizen still living in France. I met my girlfreind who is a US citizen three years ago. I've been visiting her in Atlanta since then for two to three months at the time with my tourist visa (B1/B2) after losing my Esta last year.
so since July 2011, i have spent about 14 months over there, allways going back to France to get back to work and get some money to pay for my plane ticket and support my journey in the States.

Me and my girl friend plan to get married since more than a year, but it hasn't been possible because she was still married in order to have her husband's health insurance. She has a disease and needs a daily treatment that's expensive without any insurance (she has no health insurance through her job).

Now she is divorced since early september, our plan was for me to go there at this moment and get married but i have been denied at the border (once again) because the customs think i go there to often and i might work illegally (which i never did).

She has a 7 years old boy that we don't want to take away from his father, so our only solution is for me to go live in Atlanta with her.

So now, i guess our two options are: 1- to get married in France so i can apply for the green card. 2- to apply for the Fiancee visa and go marry her over there.

For both situations, i'd like to know how long it'd take and how much i't cost.
maybe there is some other solution, but we don't know it.

Thank you for taking of your time to read and maybe to advice me.
Antoine

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
for a fiancee visa
K1 Process Flowchart

US Citizen can apply for a special visa to allow a non-citizen (their fiancée) to enter the country in order to get married to a US citizen inside the US.

Once issued, the K1 visa will allow the non-citizen to enter the United States legally, for 90 days in order for the marriage ceremony to take place. Once you marry, the non-citizen can remain in the US and may apply for permanent residence. While USCIS processes the application, the non-citizen can remain in the US legally
The US citizen income must meet the require minimum to fulfill the affidavit of support
currently$19400

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much Davis for this clear explaination of the K1 visa.

Does it mean i could stay after the weeding until i got my green card ? would i be able to work in the United States ?

thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts