Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me figure out whether it's possible to purchase a region free dvd player in the US. I'm in Australia and my sister lives in Minnesota. I'd like to be able to send her DVD's from Australia.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me figure out whether it's possible to purchase a region free dvd player in the US. I'm in Australia and my sister lives in Minnesota. I'd like to be able to send her DVD's from Australia.

Thanks!
You don't so much buy a region-free DVD player but rather reset a regular player by setting it to region 0. She can check whether her current or future player can be hacked here. Surprisingly enough, the $30 ones are more likely to have this facility than the more expensive models.

·
Administrator
49,764 Posts
I can verify the fact that the cheaper the DVD player, the more likely it can be switched to 0 region. (Ours works that way and it's a cheapie from China - no name brand.)

Depending on how your sister wants to view the videos, you could also google for "VLC media player." It's a free download (under the GNU licensing agreement) and it just saved my bacon today when we were trying to show a region 2 video using my computer and a video-projector. (My Windoze media player is stuck on region 1.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the info. Just waiting on my sister to get back to me with the model of her dvd and then will see if we can set it to region 0.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts