Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I am new to this forum.You are really appreciated for posting valuable information which help to new people like me.:)

I am planning to move to Australia with my family next year.Right now i am working on java/j2ee in India.

How are the IT opportunity for my skill at Australia and which places are good for java/j2ee and for Testing skills?

Please help me in this regard.Your help really matters to me to plan further.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi bharatbhoomi,

I'm afraid you'll really have to do some research on your own. Check Seek for job ads, find out what the "big" Australian ICT are, where they are located (most are in Sydney or Melbourne but not all) and what they are looking for. Head over to their homepages and identify some companies that you would be interested in. Apply for jobs well ahead of the move (I'd recommend 6 months) and try to get some interviews via phone or Skype.

You can also use the forum search function to dig up some old threads on that topic; it comes up quite regularly :).

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi bharatbhoomi,

I'm afraid you'll really have to do some research on your own. Check Seek for job ads, find out what the "big" Australian ICT are, where they are located (most are in Sydney or Melbourne but not all) and what they are looking for. Head over to their homepages and identify some companies that you would be interested in. Apply for jobs well ahead of the move (I'd recommend 6 months) and try to get some interviews via phone or Skype.

You can also use the forum search function to dig up some old threads on that topic; it comes up quite regularly :).

Cheers,
Monika
Monika...Based on your experience, does applying for jobs from outside Australia help? Do employers show interest for workers who are not currently located within Australia?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi gbr,

it is really hard to get a job from overseas. But some companies are willing to even sponsor somebody on a 457 or ENS visa if they cannot fill the position locally. Try companies like Atlassian or Google for example, which are very committed to hiring the best people they can get. If you get a call while still overseas you know you are doing something right ;). And even if they don't hire you because it is to expensive/risky to sponsor somebody, you have some contacts and can call them after you have landed in Australia. "Hey, I'm here now - are you still interested? Can I come in for a trial work day?" etc.

The problem is that most of the hiring process in Australia goes through recruiters who generally need to fill a position asap, so they generally ignore applications from people who are not in Australia yet. That is fair, I guess! You could get an Australian Skype number to reduce the costs for people wanting to call you but I would not recommend hiding that you are still overseas.

The general idea is that by starting the job application process early you will have a better understanding of the job market and thus be able to secure a job faster after you've landed. Living in the larger Australian cities like Sydney or Melbourne is very expensive without an income, so you want to shorten that period as much as possible. Once you have your first job and know some people it is fairly easy to find a new job, but getting that first position as a new migrant is difficult.

Good luck,
Monika

1 - 4 of 4 Posts