Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Regarding Child benefit FLR(M)

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Toby1988 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

My wife is currently on FLR(M) and will apply for ILR soon. My question is in regard to child benefit, soon after our son was born 2 years ago I applied for Child Benefit. On my wife's card it says no resource to public funds however as I am British Citizen I thought that if I apply under my name it shouldn't matter. So I did. However the child benefit in a way extends to my wife she is earning over the 65k threshold now and has to pay back the tax. I wasn't clear if this will be okay or not however I did see online that if I am a UK citizen it is okay. Although I'm not sure if things have been updated since then... Will me wife's visa application for ILR be affected? Hopefully I haven't made a terrible mistake.

#2 ·
YOU can claim child benefit..... it will not affect your wife's application.

What do you mean she has to pay back the tax ....?

#3 ·
Thanks! I did apply for it in my name but when it comes to paying the tax charge it seems to involve her. My wife owns over the threshold now so she needs to pay back what was given to us so far through tax. If both of us earn lower than 50K we don't need to pay this charge..

#4 ·
It was not a mistake to apply, you will have to pay tax charges due to your wife's income, but that's normally the case whether she is on a visa or not. It doesn't affect her visa

#5 ·
Presume you are talking about advance child tax credit. so yes, her income will be taken into account based on how you file your taxes, but it won't affect her ILR application.

#6 ·
Presume you are talking about advance child tax credit. so yes, her income will be taken into account based on how you file your taxes, but it won't affect her ILR application.

It was not a mistake to apply, you will have to pay tax charges due to your wife's income, but that's normally the case whether she is on a visa or not. It doesn't affect her visa

Thanks, although I guess she needs to register and submit the self assesment tax returns, to pay back the tax claim because she is the higher earner. I claimed for the benefit so hopefully even still no issues.

#9 ·
You can opt out of child benefit payment as if either of the parents earn above £50K then you get tax charge which is what is happening. As far as her visa is concerned she is not impacted as the child is British and I presume that you applied for child benefit rather than your wife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.