Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first time posting :)
A little background, before my question; I was born of French parents in the US, and had dual citizenship until I was 18, then lost my French citizenship due to 'lack of use'. I traveled to France frequently with my parents to visit family when I was young (until 16), then as I got older (now 43) unfortunately, my visits became less and less. Anyway, I am wanting to move to France from the US, and re-gain my French citizenship. From my understanding, I would be able to waive the 5 year residency requirement, because I was already a citizen before, and born of French parents. But, I will want to apply for citizenship right away (I know it could take a year or more), will I be able to work while my application for citizenship is being processed? I will be staying with family until I get on my feet, but I need to be able to do that as quickly as possible. What is the best route for me under my circumstances? I am pretty nervous about leaving the US permanently, and trying to start a new life in France (but excited!), I'd like the transition to go as smoothly as possible, so, any insight would be grateful :) thank you in advance!

·
Administrator
49,983 Posts
I think what you're looking for is actually "réintegration dans la nationalité française" - though from the Service Public site, I'm not sure if you're eligible for reintegration by declaration or by décret. Anyhow, check the section on réintegration here: Acquisition de la nationalité française - Service-public.fr

You may want to check with the French consulate before you take off for France. Theoretically, you still would need a long stay visa to remain in France while you await the outcome of your citizenship application. (Just a note - you still need to demonstrate your "integration" into French life and culture. I assume your French is pretty good, and the fact that you would be staying with French family shows that you've kept up your contacts. All very positive.)

It's possible to process your citizenship request through the consulate - which will still take some time, but avoids any question about your status in France on arrival.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the helpful reply! I will definitely check with the French consulate. If I can process my request for citizenship from here, that would be great! And yes, my French is very good :D Thanks again!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.