Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
This is my first time writing on a forum but I am definitely in need of some advice so I thought I would give it a try. I am a 21 year old girl from the USA engaged to a 25 year old guy from England. We are very much in love. I have a few questions hopefully someone will be able to help me with.
First of all, a year ago from September I flew to England for the second time to visit my boyfriend and I was refused entry as a visitor with no visa. I had known US visitors weren't required to have one if they were visiting up to 6 months. (I was going to stay for 5). The ECO's reasons for refusal were completely his own opinions with no evidence to back them up. He wrote lies about how I had no job in the US, even though I did, and wouldn't even allow me to offer proof (such as my jobs phone number) and ultimately he was not "satisfied". He also said things like I had no "compelling reason to return" to the US and sent me back home the same day (after 12 hours of detainment). I know I am not the first person to be refused in such a miserable way, but my first question would have to be, will this have ANY bearing on a future fiance visa application? I can't help but think it will affect the decision somehow even though I have done nothing wrong.

My next question is regarding the financial requirements/sponsorship for a fiance visa. My fiance and I got engaged this past August when he was here for 2 months. This was his 4th visit to America. He just graduated Uni in June and therefore hasn't been working as much as he could have the past 3 years while attending. He recently started a job that pays much better than the one he has had for about 6 years. It pays £19,000 a year which exceeds the £18,600 requirement but he has only just started this month. I know he needs to be working there for 6 months before we can use that in our application. My question might be a bit stupid but does he have to be my main sponsor or can his mother be my sponsor? We would be living in her home where my fiance currently lives. The house has 4 bedrooms and more than enough space for the 3 of us and her 2 dogs. She makes a little less than £17,000 a year which is less than required but she has a lot more money in savings. Would it be wiser to wait 6 months and then apply or use his mother as my main sponsor? Ultimately, I want to be in England as soon as possible. We have been in a relationship for over 3 years and now that my fiance has graduated Uni, we are able to live together and start a real life together.
I really appreciate any advice anyone can give us. I just feel kind of lost in this whole process and need to know what the best route might be. Thank you to anyone who read this whole post!! :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Unfortunately third party sponsorship (ie from his mother) is no longer allowed under a rule change that happened in 2012. You will have to wait until your fiance has worked for 6 months before you submit your application.

And yes, your refusal will have to be declared in your application and because of it, your application may get more in depth scrutiny, so do expect slightly longer processing times. Ultimately, though, if you complete the application correctly and meet all the requirements, your refusal should not have an impact on the decision.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Just to put the record straight. Immigration officer doesn't require concrete proof for denying you entry. They can do so 'in the balance of probabilities' and using their own judgement. This is laid down in recent immigration laws. So if the officer didn't believe you and was sceptical about your intentions, that was the reason enough to deny you entry.

As stated, this won't be a deal breaker when you come to apply for your settlement visa as fiancée or spouse. But you must come clean, declare it and take full responsibility for it. Don't blame anyone else or accuse the immigration officer of being arbitrary and dictatorial. This won't get you anywhere. Just state in a covering letter something like 'I was denied entry for not having sufficient strong ties in US, for which I take full responsibility.'

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.