Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola,
After a 1 year spanish visa has expired, can a person leave Spain for a week and then reenter with the schengan 90 day tourist visa. I've been told by the Spanish Consulate in Canada that yes I can and I was told by the Canada consulate in Madrid that no I cannot, you must leave for 90 days before reentering for 90 days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Strange scenario for you guys.

In order to apply for a new visa I have to leave Spain for 90 days. The lady from the consulate said they don't care so much where I go but I have to leave Spain for 90 days, then I have to apply for my new student visa in person in Canada.

My question is, can I go anywhere I want, even if the country is in the Schengan zone? For example can I go to Italy for 90 days, then go back to Canada and apply for the new visa?

The lady at the consulate said I did not have to go back to Canada for the 90 days but she didn't specifically say if I had to leave the schengan zone completely or just Spain. Considering the fact that I will be applying for a Spain visa, I assume I just have to leave Spain.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
How much of a rush are you in?

It's not like you show up in Canada and the new visa will happen over night. Do you have all the paperwork for the new visa? I guess you'll need an appointment. Add in holidays and you might find the soonest won't be much less then ninety days.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My question is, can I go anywhere I want, even if the country is in the Schengan zone?
No.

Schengen rules are simple—90 days in and 90 days out.

You need to spend 90 days out of the Schengen area before you can return.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No.

Schengen rules are simple—90 days in and 90 days out.

You need to spend 90 days out of the Schengen area before you can return.
Schengen rules are simple. But I don't technically have a shengen visa. I had a 1 year Spain visa. Now I need to leave Spain for 90 days before applying for a new Spain visa.

Yes I realize Spain is in Schengen, but it's not like I'm using the 90 day schengen tourist visa. I had a 1 year visa and now I need to leave spain for 90 days before applying for another 1 year spain visa.

I'm sure you are right and it doesn't work this way but it is strange. France and Spain are different countries with different visa application processes.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Can you apply for a second youth visa? I thought you couldn't.

It's not really true that France and Spain are different. Outside of the youth visas I think the basic rules are uniform.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yes I realize Spain is in Schengen, but it's not like I'm using the 90 day schengen tourist visa. I had a 1 year visa and now I need to leave spain for 90 days before applying for another 1 year spain visa.
There's no such thing as a 90 day Schengen tourist visa. You're allowed to stay within the Schengen area of countries for 90 days (without the need for a visa) at any one time. Once that 90 days is up, you have to leave for 90 days before you can return.

You had a visa that extended that 90 days to 1 year within a Schengen area country. Your 1 year visa is now at and end. You must now leave the Schengen area for 90 days before you can return.

·
Administrator
36,464 Posts
There's no such thing as a 90 day Schengen tourist visa. You're allowed to stay within the Schengen area of countries for 90 days (without the need for a visa) at any one time. Once that 90 days is up, you have to leave for 90 days before you can return.

You had a visa that extended that 90 days to 1 year within a Schengen area country. Your 1 year visa is now at and end. You must now leave the Schengen area for 90 days before you can return.
yes, that's how I understand it too

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Josh, it sounds like you are playing with fire. If you are against heading back to Canada for three months I would hire a gestor or an immigration lawyer here to get your questions answered. You are betting a lot, and have a lot to lose, on one funcionario's response.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts