Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads,

Im an electrician and thinking about moving to saskatoon in canada in the summer..but the question i hav papers since last august but im hearing you need so many hours to sit the red seal exam..i have over 10,000 but that includes 4 years of my apprenticeship..would this allow me to sit the exam or what criteria do u need to sit the exam?all advice greatfull

·
Banned
709 Posts
Yes, it's 9000 hours of direct experience, not apprenticeship, and you need proof.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Johnny,
My name is Travis Quiring, I'm a Realtor in Saskatoon and am here to help in any way i can. I want to post a link for you but I am told on here that I need to post at least 4 times before I can post a url. So I'll post a few times and then post the link, sorry.
Please let me know if I can help out in any other way.

Hi lads,

Im an electrician and thinking about moving to saskatoon in canada in the summer..but the question i hav papers since last august but im hearing you need so many hours to sit the red seal exam..i have over 10,000 but that includes 4 years of my apprenticeship..would this allow me to sit the exam or what criteria do u need to sit the exam?all advice greatfull

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm sorry mod, the forum still will not allow me to post the link to the Sask immigration link that provides a detailed outline for getting a red seal here. Perhaps I need to wait for a while, I'll try again later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

I'm heading to Vancouver in June and then I'll be applying to do my construction electrician red seal exam. I was planning on doing this in Alberta but I was told I will have to work a year as an apprentice before I can apply to sit the exam.

When I get my red seal cert in BC will I then be able to move to Alberta and work as a journeyman? Has anyone done this exam?
Thanks for any info.

Regards,
Derek

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

I'm heading to Vancouver in June and then I'll be applying to do my construction electrician red seal exam. I was planning on doing this in Alberta but I was told I will have to work a year as an apprentice before I can apply to sit the exam.

When I get my red seal cert in BC will I then be able to move to Alberta and work as a journeyman? Has anyone done this exam?
Thanks for any info.

Regards,
Derek
Hi Derek,
I took the the exam just before Christmas and passed. All you have to do is familliarise yourself with the code which section covers what and where the tables are etc and you will be able to find all the answers. Also I recommend the ESAT tool available to buy on the CSA website, where you practice taking the exam with a wrong answer analysis to help you along the way.

Regards
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheers Dave,

Did you do the exam in BC and how much study would you recommend? I'm going to order the books and cd from the csa website tomorrow. Is this what I should be getting? Electrician's Self Assessment Tool (2009 ESAT) - also known as the Construction Electrician Practice Exam. I just pasted that from the website.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cheers Dave,

Did you do the exam in BC and how much study would you recommend? I'm going to order the books and cd from the csa website tomorrow. Is this what I should be getting? Electrician's Self Assessment Tool (2009 ESAT) - also known as the Construction Electrician Practice Exam. I just pasted that from the website.
No I took the exam in NS, but it is interprovincial. Yes that is the tool I used, however the code has just been revised and the 2012 edition will be in effect from May 1st, so just keep your eyes open for that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No I took the exam in NS, but it is interprovincial. Yes that is the tool I used, however the code has just been revised and the 2012 edition will be in effect from May 1st, so just keep your eyes open for that.
Cool. How do you find working as a sparks in Canada compared to England?
Did you you get a temp cert to allow you to work before you did the exam?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cool. How do you find working as a sparks in Canada compared to England?
Did you you get a temp cert to allow you to work before you did the exam?
There are a lot of differences, terminology and the general arrangements of circuits. They have a wider range of varying voltages, 120v, 208v, 240v, 347v and 600v that they use depending on application. Domestic panels are far bigger that ours and are 2 pole and neutral although it is classed as a single phase supply. oh my I could rant for ages.

I didn't score a job until I had taken the exam, personally I couldn't face being called an apprentice after 25 years in the trade and having run my own business back in England, being an employee was always going to be hard.

Anyway got laid off a couple weeks ago because the guy I worked for had heard that I wanted to be self employed again, so I registered a business a couple of days ago and now sit here with my fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.