Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm Canadian and I've taught in the U.K. for 5 years and have registered with a few recruiting companies. I've returned to Canada for 1 year and am considering returning to the U.K. because of employment opportunities.

I'm trying to keep up-to-date with the recruiting companies as there are numerous ones appearing daily.

I'm looking for a list of 5-10 recruiting companies that offer good rates of pay for daily supply work (£150 and above). I'm particularly interested in companies that would also assist in finding accommodations before arriving in the U.K.

As I am an EU national (Italian citizen) I don't require a visa to teach in the U.K. I have also achieved QTS with Induction making me a British qualified teacher.

I have found that the biggest challenge of teaching in the U.K. is finding accommodations close to the school, and if not, reliable and frequent transportation to and from the school. I chose not to drive in the U.K. as I really had no need to because of the rail/bus/underground networks.

Thank you.

Gian.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello. I'm Canadian and I've taught in the U.K. for 5 years and have registered with a few recruiting companies. I've returned to Canada for 1 year and am considering returning to the U.K. because of employment opportunities.

I'm trying to keep up-to-date with the recruiting companies as there are numerous ones appearing daily.

I'm looking for a list of 5-10 recruiting companies that offer good rates of pay for daily supply work (£150 and above). I'm particularly interested in companies that would also assist in finding accommodations before arriving in the U.K.

As I am an EU national (Italian citizen) I don't require a visa to teach in the U.K. I have also achieved QTS with Induction making me a British qualified teacher.

I have found that the biggest challenge of teaching in the U.K. is finding accommodations close to the school, and if not, reliable and frequent transportation to and from the school. I chose not to drive in the U.K. as I really had no need to because of the rail/bus/underground networks.

Thank you.

Gian.
Try this company: Supply Teaching Jobs | Teaching Jobs - Teaching Personnel

·
Registered
39,082 Posts
I don't know if you are primary or secondary, but some schools use a supply service run by the local authority, usually in association with a supply agency. So get in touch with the teachers section of local authorities you wish to work in and find out or register your interest. Timeplan is one agency based in London that's known to help overseas teachers, with accommodation if needed. But I suggest you do your own search, through accommodation sites like Rightmove. Book yourself into temporary accommodation for the first couple of weeks.
Authorities known to be keen to attract teachers from outside their area include most Inner London ones, esp Newham, and Luton in Bedfordshire.
Also The TES - Education Jobs, Teaching Resources, Magazine & Forums carries a lot of teaching ads. For a list of local authorities, go to NUT or NASUWT site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've been hired through Teaching Personnel in the past, but I think they place long-term. I'm just registering with Protocol Education and Impact Teachers and Timeplan for day-to-day supply.

I just found a website that lists EVERY teaching agency. It's called ratemyteachingagency. I don't pay too much attention to the ratings. I just use it for the agency listings.

As far as accommodation, I may be living in Hatfield; cheap rooms and 1 bedroom apartments, and the Great Northern Route rail line goes from Welwyn Garden City to King's Cross/St. Pancras. The rail is run by First Capital Connect, and they have super-saver tickets on weekends and bank holidays. Went from Hatfield to Brighton last year £16 return.

Thanks for Rightmove. I've always checked out Gumtree and Spareroom. Also, the online classifieds of the local newspaper e.g. Welwyn-Hatfield Times.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.