Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well that's us booked up a reconnaissance trip to Australia: Flying into Melbourne early February before flying over to Perth mid February and subsequently home to the UK early March.

I've set up a couple of informal chats with prospective employers in Melbourne and working on doing the same for Perth.

Having never been to Austrlia before I'm after some advice on whether or not folk would recommend hiring a car in both cities for the duration of our stay, or whether public transport should be sufficient for the majority of our movements. Our intention is to have a holiday but also to get out and about into suburbs that we could consider moving to. Point to note is that we'll have a one year old with us.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Yes, you should hire a car in all places as you have a one year old (you will always need a baby seat and it needs to meet AU/NZ standards, you can hire this as well).

It will let you see all the suburbs as not every suburb has public transport to it. Even it it does taking a train/tram will be slower as you need to wait for them.

Well that's us booked up a reconnaissance trip to Australia: Flying into Melbourne early February before flying over to Perth mid February and subsequently home to the UK early March.

I've set up a couple of informal chats with prospective employers in Melbourne and working on doing the same for Perth.

Having never been to Austrlia before I'm after some advice on whether or not folk would recommend hiring a car in both cities for the duration of our stay, or whether public transport should be sufficient for the majority of our movements. Our intention is to have a holiday but also to get out and about into suburbs that we could consider moving to. Point to note is that we'll have a one year old with us.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Definitely hire a car. You'll have the freedom to go where you want, when you want, and get to see more than what is on a bus/train route.

Dolly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts