Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My partner and I are moving to Australia in May and have yet to book a company to move our stuff. We are only taking about 1/3 to 1/2 a containers worth of stuff because don't think everything else we have is worth the cost it would be to take it.

I've seen a few threads with horror stories of where moving companies have done a really bad job, but does anybody have any good experiences/advice of where moves have gone smoothly and what is the best way to make sure this happens?

Any advice would be greatly recieved. Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi,

My partner and I are moving to Australia in May and have yet to book a company to move our stuff. We are only taking about 1/3 to 1/2 a containers worth of stuff because don't think everything else we have is worth the cost it would be to take it.

I've seen a few threads with horror stories of where moving companies have done a really bad job, but does anybody have any good experiences/advice of where moves have gone smoothly and what is the best way to make sure this happens?

Any advice would be greatly recieved. Thanks

Hi Claire

if you type in "shipping company" there have been posts before as you may have seen with some people recomending certain companies,and their reasons for doing it with them, but one person had a real bad exp and wasnt allowed to slate the company on the forum, so you really got to dig!
i cannot recomend any to you from personal exp as we are just researching at this stage but this forum is great for info, anything you need to know, just type it in the top search box!
shipping agents i have written down for future quotes are doreen bonner, and harrow green, those are the ones our forum moderators have used i think,..
there are lots and again, use the search box to dig up dirt:eek: or reccomended storys on them all!!

research is the key!
take care:D
Claire

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I used Harrow Green and was impressed since our house sale fell through twice and we had to change the movers dates accordingly!

Get some quotes (I got 7 which was probably too many) and also find out what the insurance is like and what is covered since some shippers seem to make their money on high priced insurance.

You also want to check if there are any additional fees when your goods land here and whether it's a complete door to door service.

We brought in over Ford Mustang (a long story :)) and Harrow Green switched us from shipping to Adelaide to Melbourne (for no extra charge) since the car would be handled quicker in Melbourne because they were set up for it.

Legally we cannot name and shame companies because the forum could get into trouble and we have no way of knowing whether the complaint put on the forum is accurate or not. That's why we can say which firms are good but we can't say which firms aren't so good....

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the names, it's nice to know that everyone has not had awful experience of shipping companies and that things can gowell. Do you know if it's better to pack your own stuff or if it's better to get them to pack it for you? I'm concerned that we will spend all this money shipping our goods only for them to be ruined by the time we get there. It's not worth the hassel of taking them if you don't stand a better than average chance of your stuff getting there in one piece! Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the names, it's nice to know that everyone has not had awful experience of shipping companies and that things can gowell. Do you know if it's better to pack your own stuff or if it's better to get them to pack it for you? I'm concerned that we will spend all this money shipping our goods only for them to be ruined by the time we get there. It's not worth the hassel of taking them if you don't stand a better than average chance of your stuff getting there in one piece! Thanks.
If it's a large shipment (ie not just a carton) then I think you have to have it packed by the movers so that they can verify that there are no prohibited items. Also their insurance only works if they pack for you AND UNPACK.

we moved from UK to Melbourne and back again and nothing was broken or ruined - full house shpments. The packers did let me pack a case of my own underwear!!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Yep I agree the movers had to pack for us otherwise it wouldn't be covered under the insurance.

The professionals know what they are doing (one the whole) and they are very quick.

It's very rare that stuff gets really ruined - and if the worst does happen that's why you need the insurance!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
If you have shippers in, they do all the packing apart from a box or two that you want to pack, they will stress that it's at your own risk and will not be covered by their insurance.

Dolly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the advice. It's a mine field all this organisation and after reading about occassions where it had gone wrong I was really beginning to worry. My mind is at ease now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi EHL,

I'm not sure if I'm being too nosey, but as a soon to be new expat in Melbourne, I wondered why you moved to Oz and came back again to the UK? I've read that some people get there and don't like it and my other half was interested to know why that happens some times?

I spent 12 months in Oz about eleven years ago on a working holiday visa and spent 6 months of this working in Melbourne and absolutely loved it. I've spent the next 10 years working out how to be able to move their perminantly! I finally qualified as an accountant last year so have been able to realise my dream.

After all this planning it's really important to us that this works so any pointers are gladly received.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Claireu

not nosey at all!

we were out in Melbourne for 2 years on a 457 visa sponsored by my husbands employer in the UK, the contract was up and we had to return and at the time we didn't qualify for a 175.

we have always dreamt of going back but then started a family and life got in the way. Then my husbands occupation made it onto MODL and CSL and as soon as we discovered that we qualified, we decided to apply.

it will be different this time, as we were newly married and childless when we were there before, but we are sure it is the best decision for all of us. Also my husband was with the same employer before, during and after his job there and they took care of an awful lot of the arrangements for us so it's new to be doing it all ourselves.

So the short answer is - it was never our choice to leave and at the first opportunity we are heading back!

There is no doubt it is hard - leaving family and friends is the hardest thing, and there are times when you feel isolated and alone, but if you are are committed to the dream and each other I am sure you will make a success of it.

hope that helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for sharing that with us ELH. It must have been very hard to leave as it sounds like you were really happy there. Good luck with your application, looks like you're not far off hearing now. Once we had our case officer and they had our medicals etc it only took them a few days to come back with a yes so if you haven't heard already it will be very soon I'm sure. They wait for that visa to come through was the most excruciating wait ever!

Leaving friends and family behind is hard but I think it might actually be harder for them than it is for me. I've got a whole new life to look forward to where as they have a gapping hole in their's. I'm trying to be patient and sympathetic with them but it's very hard when they are being so negative. Luckily they are not all being difficult and my Dad in particular is being very supportive. I guess that time will be a healer for them and they'll get use to me not being there after a while.

Hope everything works out really well for you and your family. We just can't wait to get there now!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for your good wishes Claireu.

Like you say we are almost there with our visa's and I just cant wait - I wont believe it's possible until I have that letter!

It was hard to leave but I think we were always sure we would go back at that point and we are in a better position now (financially and career wise) than we were back then so I can believe that thongs happen for a reason.

Sorry to hear your family are not taking it well - it is so hard isn't it. It is beyond comprehension for many and I think they forget it is a hard decision to make and we could do with some support and encouragement.

hope everything goes smoothly for you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts