Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What recommendations would you make to a visitor coming to your area? I mean there are loads of "Must See" tourist places like the Prado Museum in Madrid or Buck Palace in London, but what about those other, not so well known places that are probably not so over run by tourists and are just as nice?

In Madrid apart from The Prado, The Thyssen and the Reina Sofía museums I would recommend the Sorolla museum. It's not too big and is in a very nice setting as the paintings are shown in his former home. Much more manageable that the three big museums and the paintings of course are beautiful.
Here's a link in English
Madrid local tips | Sorolla Museum – Madrid’s best kept museum secret

A bar that's a bit more on the tourist route, but hasn't been packed out when I've been there is "Casa Alberto" in Calle Huertas. Very old fashioned. hasn't changed since 1827, and I don't think the waiters have either! I've never eaten there. It's just nice to go the bar.
Casa Alberto

Last recommendation is to go out of the city and see some of the amazing countryside that surrounds Madrid. Try La Pedriza. Here are some photos that'll show you what it's like
la pedriza - Google Images

More recommendations please!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Is it easy to get to Franco's burial place from Madrid?

What recommendations would you make to a visitor coming to your area? I mean there are loads of "Must See" tourist places like the Prado Museum in Madrid or Buck Palace in London, but what about those other, not so well known places that are probably not so over run by tourists and are just as nice?

In Madrid apart from The Prado, The Thyssen and the Reina Sofía museums I would recommend the Sorolla museum. It's not too big and is in a very nice setting as the paintings are shown in his former home. Much more manageable that the three big museums and the paintings of course are beautiful.
Here's a link in English
Madrid local tips | Sorolla Museum – Madrid’s best kept museum secret

A bar that's a bit more on the tourist route, but hasn't been packed out when I've been there is "Casa Alberto" in Calle Huertas. Very old fashioned. hasn't changed since 1827, and I don't think the waiters have either! I've never eaten there. It's just nice to go the bar.
Casa Alberto

Last recommendation is to go out of the city and see some of the amazing countryside that surrounds Madrid. Try La Pedriza. Here are some photos that'll show you what it's like
la pedriza - Google Images

More recommendations please!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
If you want to visit one of Franco's stamping grounds, try his local fishing location - Fraga do Eume. Beautiful picnic area and stunning woodland/river walk.:)

Thanks Pesky

No I didnt specifically want to visit his stomping grounds, just to visit the "Cathedral" where he is buried as I have read about it and seen some video. We were thinking of going to Madrid by Train, but if it's that far away from Madrid then it probably wouldnt be feasible

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pesky

No I didnt specifically want to visit his stomping grounds, just to visit the "Cathedral" where he is buried as I have read about it and seen some video. We were thinking of going to Madrid by Train, but if it's that far away from Madrid then it probably wouldnt be feasible
Remembered that you can get a bus from El Escorial. PMd Stravinsky.

I'd really like to know about other regions in Spain. Anything to recommend?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Well, I usually just refer to the TurGalicia website which covers all the areas really on a must see list in Galicia....but it goes without saying that the Rias Baixas (Rias Bajas), Costa da Morte (Costa de la Muerte) and the Islas Cies are fabulous areas.....that's if your into gorgeous scenery and paradise beaches.

There are so many beautiful old towns tucked away where I am though...ports, medieval architecture, tiny streets - lovely little boutiques and artisan crafts, little restaurants/bars with wonderful seafood and the vino is to die for!:love: Although some say that Santiago de Compostela (the cathedral etc) is touristy, there are some wonderful little areas just off the main square where you can wander for hours. There's just so much here! You might get the impression that I love where I live. I do.;):D

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Franco's burial ground? You really know how to be Living La Vida Loca don't you?

What's next on the itinerary? Bunkers in Berlin? Lamposts in Milan? :cool:
Vomit in Croydon?? My advice for anyone contemplating a visit to Croydon is give it a very wide berth, preferably via somewhere in Spain...

·
Registered
348 Posts
There's a little place about half an hours drive from where we live...St Marti it's called. It has little coves and beaches to die for, all enhanced by unusual rock formations, which are the home of stunning coral. It is perfect for snorkelling/swimming. The views across the bay are fabulous and discreetly dotted between the trees are little beach bars serving fresh seafood and drinks.
Across the road , through the pine trees, there are the remains of a Roman settlement with a museum. There is also a picnic area under the trees. Lunch or dinner can be had in a little placa overlooked by a tiny church and surrounded by old cottages. Perfect and our favourite place.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
There's a little place about half an hours drive from where we live...St Marti it's called. It has little coves and beaches to die for, all enhanced by unusual rock formations, which are the home of stunning coral. It is perfect for snorkelling/swimming. The views across the bay are fabulous and discreetly dotted between the trees are little beach bars serving fresh seafood and drinks.
Across the road , through the pine trees, there are the remains of a Roman settlement with a museum. There is also a picnic area under the trees. Lunch or dinner can be had in a little placa overlooked by a tiny church and surrounded by old cottages. Perfect and our favourite place.
It sounds beautiful Hombre! I will have to add it to my list of "Places in Spain I still need to visit"!!!! That list is getting longer and longer ... I just need the time and money to start ticking things off that list now!

Sue :plane:

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wanna go THERE

·
Registered
626 Posts
It sounds beautiful Hombre! I will have to add it to my list of "Places in Spain I still need to visit"!!!! That list is getting longer and longer ... I just need the time and money to start ticking things off that list now!

Sue :plane:
not a prayer of u going anywere for the forseeable future sue not with all that knitting to do :D
congrats to u and your family :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:;)

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
not a prayer of u going anywere for the forseeable future sue not with all that knitting to do :D
congrats to u and your family :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:;)
hey, we should all club together and buy Sue a rocking chair!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
626 Posts

Jo xxx

na some of them fluffy booty come slipper thingy me bob's and a copy of reader's digest should fill the part for her well ! ;)
oh and some incontey pants :eek::D:eyebrows:

·
Registered
626 Posts

Jo xxx
there u go sue nice tight fit for u.
Plastic-Incontinence-Pants.jpg

who need's freind's with me and jo jo by your side eh :rolleyes:;):D:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::focus:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Ok everyone enough already of the Grandma jokes! I still aim to wear totally inappropriate clothing for my age and insist on acting like a twenty year old at every opportunity ..... I have been growing old disgracefully for years!!!

Sue xxx :love:

Although the big pants look pretty comfy! lol x

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.