Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have just relocated to Brisbane with my husband and my 11month old daughter from Dubai. My husbands company relocated us here for two years perhaps longer if we like it.

I am finding it really hard to meet people(I am Irish and naturally friendly, love hearing about other people) and was just wondering if there are any members out there who are living in Brisbane area. I live in Southside in Wynnum. I am a stay at home Mum and thought that Australia would be a really friendly place to move to. I am so disappointed with the place. Having lived in the ME for two years in both Saudi and Dubai I can easily say they were much friendlier places to relocate too. I have done the mother baby groups which were just awful as nobody spoke to each other.

Sorry if I sound like I am moaning but I would really like to meet some people so if anyone can give me any advice it would be greatly appreciated. My husband is Italian btw.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Eviebell

Have only just looked at this site today and read your comments.

I have been in Brisbane for 14 years, originally from Scotland and will be a good bit older than yourself, so probably can't advise you on where to take your little one etc.

I think sometimes it is a surprise to find that no one talked to you at group meetings etc, but sometimes it is a fact that Aussies can be quite conservatively reserved (contrary to the perceived image of them).

Just wondered if things have improved for you since June and sincerely hope they have.

Regards

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Eviebell

Have only just looked at this site today and read your comments.

I have been in Brisbane for 14 years, originally from Scotland and will be a good bit older than yourself, so probably can't advise you on where to take your little one etc.

I think sometimes it is a surprise to find that no one talked to you at group meetings etc, but sometimes it is a fact that Aussies can be quite conservatively reserved (contrary to the perceived image of them).

Just wondered if things have improved for you since June and sincerely hope they have.

Regards
We only arrived here in the beginning of October. I have found it really hard to meet people despite there being a wealth of mothers in the area as I see them most days walking in groups etc. I never realised how unfriendly or should I say clicky the Australians are.

Part of me wishes we had never come now. I cannot see what all the hype is about this country. Its beautiful for sure but thats about it. Very disappointed:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Eviebell,

I feel the same. My partner was relocated to Brisbane by his company and I decided to come with him. I am alone all day long and find it really hard to meet new people. I am kind of ok with it as I think with time this will get better; have only been here for six weeks - still feel in limbo as our shipment hasn't arrived yet and am still waiting for final approval of permanent visa. Hence, I am also blocked in actually applying for jobs..
Anyway, I'd be really interested to meet up for a cuppa if you'd like, just for a chat.
Let me know.:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Eviebell,

I feel the same. My partner was relocated to Brisbane by his company and I decided to come with him. I am alone all day long and find it really hard to meet new people. I am kind of ok with it as I think with time this will get better; have only been here for six weeks - still feel in limbo as our shipment hasn't arrived yet and am still waiting for final approval of permanent visa. Hence, I am also blocked in actually applying for jobs..
Anyway, I'd be really interested to meet up for a cuppa if you'd like, just for a chat.
Let me know.:)
Hi Paddington Bear,

Yes I would love to meet up?
Where are you living in Brisbane. Our shipment was pretty quick got here after six weeks. Its so lonely I still am so surprised at how unfriendly the people are.
Is there a way I can Private Message you so I can pass my details on to you.
My husband is in work all day long too so its just me and the baby. Very lonely isn't it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Paddington Bear,

Yes I would love to meet up?
Where are you living in Brisbane. Our shipment was pretty quick got here after six weeks. Its so lonely I still am so surprised at how unfriendly the people are.
Is there a way I can Private Message you so I can pass my details on to you.
My husband is in work all day long too so its just me and the baby. Very lonely isn't it.
I haven't figured out yet how to contact you privately. Hoped the friendship thing would allow that. Thinking of posting my email address.
Anyone any ideas how to contact someone privately? I don't have private messaging on my User CP.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
A member has to have posted 5 messages before being able to use the provate messaging system.

Please don't post email addresses since this is an open forum.

I joined some clubs when we moved to Australia - things that I was interested in such as skilled migrant group (great to mix others in the same situation regardless of where they have moved from), Toastmasters, Rotary, local business groups and more recently belly dancing.

I do agree that it takes a while but you do have to make an effort (and I'm not suggesting that you haven't done that by the way). I found that by getting out there and talking to people that I started to make acquaintances and then friends.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't figured out yet how to contact you privately. Hoped the friendship thing would allow that. Thinking of posting my email address.
Anyone any ideas how to contact someone privately? I don't have private messaging on my User CP.
Okay so we have to have posted a few times before we can PM.

Thanks for the information. I just don't think the Australians are all that friendly despite what you say. Or maybe it is just where I am living but I have met quite a few expats here and there and they have all agreed with me.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Okay so we have to have posted a few times before we can PM.

Thanks for the information. I just don't think the Australians are all that friendly despite what you say. Or maybe it is just where I am living but I have met quite a few expats here and there and they have all agreed with me.
Okay that is a BIG generalisation about Australians not being friendly! I find Australians very friendly otherwise I wouldn't have moved here.

We've toured around Victoria, South Australia, been to Sydney and Perth and we found loads of friendly people. There was only 2 rude people we found and they were actually from the UK!

Big cities tend not to be as friendly as smaller communities in my experience but that doesn't stop me from talking to complete strangers in Melbourne and Adelaide when we visit. When I first moved here I used to think that strangers talking to me were after something whereas now I accept it as the norm.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Paddington bear

I cannot reply to your Private Message it will not send for some reason.

Why don't you email me again with you no ro personal email and we will take it from there to arrange to meet next week

cheers X

·
Registered
272 Posts
Expat toddler group

Hi,

We'll be arriving in a few months, we have 3 year old twins.
Would love to meet up with you an maybe even think about forming a little Brissie Expat toddler group, I bet there will be lots of other women staying at home with small children and feeling unintegrated and a bit lonely.

What do you think?
Cheers,
Busyte

1 - 11 of 11 Posts