Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All am from the UK as I said and have been looking for a grad job for the past few months and its proven the job market in UK is pretty much dead so I decided to move to dubai.

I studied chem process eng and I am looking to join the oil and gas industry hopefully! and at this stage where to start from is not a problem for me and I am willing to work my way up.

when it comes to having a place to stay I have a family member already living in dubai and can sort me out with a place to stay so no problem there!

I heard alot of things about different ways of finding jobs in uae ranging from 1.go to the companies or the recruitment agencies and hand cv in yourself 2. going online on bayt ect..3. network network network..

Sooo... my question is which is the best way to approach this situation as I am looking to go in approx 2 months and is these specific places to network in the UAE when it comes to a specific industry!

p.s. is experience as huge of a problem as everyone is making it out to be as I have roughly a year's worth?!

·
Registered
105 Posts
One of these threads pops up every week.

It is extremely difficult to get a job in the U.A.E without any prior experience. There are no graduate programs or internships available here.

I would suggest you enroll into a graduate program in the U.K work for a few years and then move her. It would improve your chances

As a fresh graduate your chances of getting a job here are next to none. Unless, you are extremely lucky and if you think that's the case I'd buy a few lottery tickets too if I were you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One of these threads pops up every week.

It is extremely difficult to get a job in the U.A.E without any prior experience. There are no graduate programs or internships available here.

I would suggest you enroll into a graduate program in the U.K work for a few years and then move her. It would improve your chances

As a fresh graduate your chances of getting a job here are next to none. Unless, you are extremely lucky and if you think that's the case I'd buy a few lottery tickets too if I were you.

There are loads of graduate schemes,
however you might be right in there isn't in the oil and gas industry, as I have not looked into that.

But there are loads of Graduate programs in other industries, such as the financial sectors, with major banks and the big firms as well as insurance companies.

The thing is, a lot of people on here think that when someone from the UK or any western country come on here as a graduate and asks whether it is possible to get a job as a fresh grad, they think that the person want to come here live the high life save thousands a month etc / or they think high of themselves and expect massive salaries just because they are British or western
But in reality I think most people who considers coming to Dubai or any other part of the world, is because they are finding it hard to get a graduate job in the UK, so they are trying their luck somewhere else.

And I don't think they expect a higher than average salary for the industry, I think what is more important is that you get a job in a firm/company where you can learn a lot and develop and then aim for promotions to better jobs, grads are feeling the pressure and they want to get into the industry of their interest as soon as possible before it is too late for them, and hence after not being successful in their home country they look to gain that first experience somewhere else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply musti

That is exactly my situation at the moment and it is what eventually made me start to look outside the UK am moving to dubai next month and the last think on my mind is to start looking for a good job so I can build up my skills and experience.

I will be trying my best to find a job that suits my degree but if not I will quickly move on and try different industries as my current set of skills are transferable to all kinds of different industries.

If there is any fellow engineers or even recent graduates out here who are actively looking at the moment or are looking to move to uae soon please let me know as it would be beneficial for us to put our heads together and help eachother out.

Thanks for the advice again Mustii

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would honestly stay in the UK until you are established within your chosen field, it can be a nightmare out here even for a seasoned professional. the culture doesn't lend its self to growing talent you can either do it right now or not at all- you can have multiple degrees but if you can't apply them they are pointless. Having said that though a degree is a minimum criteria for an engineering job (from my experience)

Best of luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the reply Sootydaz

I would honestly stay in the UK until you are established within your chosen field, it can be a nightmare out here even for a seasoned professional. the culture doesn't lend its self to growing talent you can either do it right now or not at all- you can have multiple degrees but if you can't apply them they are pointless. Having said that though a degree is a minimum criteria for an engineering job (from my experience)

Best of luck.

I'm flexible to the type of industry that i will be trying to get into and its getting really hard out here in the uk to even find the simple technician position as there is a lot of competition from highly skilled engineers as you know. i will have a go and if you have any advice on where is the best places to send or hand in my cv please let me know! i will be there for a while so hopefully it goes as planned.

Thanks Sootydaz

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
There most definitely is both, but they're harder to get into and rare in the oil and gas industry. Certainly you can forget the NOCs entirely.

The problem is that the market requires focus on Gulf nationals, Arab nationals and Arabic speakers. For a non-Arab and/or non-Arabic speaker, then it's pretty difficult.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the reply Fat Bhoy Tim

There most definitely is both, but they're harder to get into and rare in the oil and gas industry. Certainly you can forget the NOCs entirely.

The problem is that the market requires focus on Gulf nationals, Arab nationals and Arabic speakers. For a non-Arab and/or non-Arabic speaker, then it's pretty difficult.
I'll make sure not hang my hopes on one single position and the fact I speak arabic should come in handy too!

I will be going through the usual websites but is there any specific agencies that I need to go and talk to face to face and get an idea of the job market and where to apply?

thanks Fat Bhoy Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts