Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Reading through the threads with talks of income declaration, disclosing uk accounts etc makes me realise I don't have a clue although I'm French (but never lived there as a responsible adult!). Local friends and family by definition don't know about 'arriving' in France.
Could you recommend websites, books or professionals that could explain the different options and their implications. I will be in Bergerac in October to look at schools/homes and could meet a professional.
I thought of contacting a 'comptable' but 1/ I'm not sure that's the right profession to advise in my circumstances and 2/I'd prefer a personal recommendation.
Many thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
50,009 Posts
Taxation in France is pretty straight-forward and there aren't really the sorts of tax-planning options that you get in the UK or US. (Drives the expats nuts....)

For taxes, there are a number of tax instruction books that come out during tax season (usually April) each year. I've learned lots from the tax prep software I've used (we use ClickImpot, though I'm sure there are other ones out there).

Once you get to France, and open a bank account, you can consult your bank conseiller - though they are "encouraged" to sell you additional bank services. Unlike the Americans, however, you won't be subject to multiple tax filings/declarations on your total income. France wants you to declare your worldwide income if you're resident in France. Any income coming from outside France may or may not be subject to taxation by the country of origin, but only that income.

For more information on French taxation, the best source is the website for the Fisc: impots.gouv.fr
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.