Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm Americanization currently living in HK, due to several reasons my partner and I are looking at reallocating to his home country: France (that for me is beyond unknown land).
I'm a F&B skilled worker and I'm on the way to specialize.

We are seemingly going to reallocate to Dinar, until we stabilize and get on our feet.
Thought we might get a PACS, I'm really concerned about my chances of getting a job. If it worth mentioning my last position was F&B director and got there because i speak English, Spanish, Portugese and Mandarin Chinese (and not even a bit of french lol)
Question goes, Where shall i start looking? internet is seems to be mainly for either volunteering programs or expats with big careers.
Above all, i would need to get my brain busy before i go crazy and be ready to go to school.

Thanks in advance, any clue will be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
OK, for starters, in order to relocate with your partner you will need a long-stay visa of some variety. A spouse visa would be the easiest (though it can take "a few" months to sort out the necessary livret de famille, dependiing on where you get married). A PACS may get you a visa, but it's a tiny bit riskier than the spouse visa. Check your local French consulate for details. A PACS has to be concluded at the Embassy/Consulate. A marriage needs to be properly registered with the Consulate, but be aware that there may be requirements for "publishing the banns" prior to the wedding.

Now, as you your job chances.... Without French, you're going to have quite a challenge on your hands, although your other languages should be an asset once you get up to speed in the local tongue. Also, on a spouse visa (and possibly on the visa for someone PACS'd to a French national), you'll have to go through the OFII formalities which include evaluation for the State sponsored language classes and a sit-down with Pole Emploi to evaluate your options in the job market.

Actually, there should be plenty to keep your brain busy on arrival. The French bureaucracy can be a challenge to the new arrival, and there's the business of language learning you'll need to come to grips with ASAP. Most of the job hunting sites you'll be interested in are likely to post ads strictly in French - Pole Emploi, even Monster.fr and similar - and in most cases will not respond to any inquiries until you are on site and can assure them that you have "working papers" (i.e. a residence permit that states that you can work).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bev, Thank you so much for the quick reply!

We'll get on the PACS this week, though seems you are right it will take some time and i will try to get my french polished as quick as possible. Also I'll look into what mentioned about the employment pool and will contact the OFII right away.

Do you see foreigners in Brittany working in the service industry? would it worth to try?
My partner will probably be in the Geneva area and i will stay with his family in Dinard while we set up.

Thank you very much again!

·
Administrator
50,428 Posts
In order to set up your OFII appointment, you have to get the appropriate visa, and then enter France on that visa. It's only then that you can send in your papers to the OFII where you are living and the "fun" begins. You can't short circuit the process. (Something you have to get used to here in France.)

And be very careful with your plans. If you are PACS'd you are required to maintain a household in common. There may be some real problems with him living in the Geneva area and you living in Dinard. It would be far easier for you to go to Geneva with your partner - in fact, if he'll be living in Switzerland, it could make the visa process much easier for you (at least until he returns to France, when you'll have to go through the whole French process).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Given your other languages and your work history, Switzerland might also offer better job prospects if you don't speak French (provided you can get approval to work there).

·
Registered
661 Posts
EverHopeful said:
Given your other languages and your work history, Switzerland might also offer better job prospects if you don't speak French (provided you can get approval to work there).
And probably more international than dinard!

Can I ask if F&B stands for food and beverage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts