Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am currently living in Dubai and my Rental contract has expired last week. I have asked to the landlord for an option to get it renew it for only 6 months and he agreed, but he increased the rent of 10% (on the 6 months figure)...

Is it legal to increase rent of 10% considering that for the full year they would have not increase? not sure, being a "short contract" (only 6 months)

If I am going to be "difficult" could he "lock me in for a full year" as planned?

any suggestion?

Regards

Ivan

·
Registered
77 Posts
tell him to ram it and find somewhere else for the 6 months there are 1000's of empty places almost begging to get a tenant even if it's short term it's still extra income in the landlords pocket, good agents will be able to find you somewhere for 6 months.

Don't let the landlord take advantage of squeezing you for more money unnecessarily.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
short term rentals are more expensive than yearly rentals in the city. Up to you whether you want the hassle of moving, when short term lets are not that common.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Don't think LEGALLY he's doing anything wrong. I believe you're changing the terms of the contract (without sufficient notice) so it's not exactly a 'renewal'. I could be wrong but legally, he can charge you anything he wants.

Unless of course you are willing to sign a year long lease with the same conditions as before - it would then be a renewal and since he didn't give you enough notice, he can't increase the rent.

As someone said earlier, short term contracts are usually more expensive anyways so I would probably consider that and stay - unless you're OK with the hassle and cost of moving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, it all make sense...

my previous contract expired one month ago... (early April) and now I want just "stay" 6 months... in the previous contract there was not "short renewal option" so I enquired...

the tricky part is that two months ago, the landlord changed the rental company (moved from Better homes to an internal company (handling the all building)... so I am not sure how a contract signed with Better homes one year back can be now "re-newed" with the new company... in any case I think the contract is with the landlord (confused)...

moving-out for 6 months is not an option (too much trouble for utilities, furniture etc. etc.)

the "increase is 10%"... so we are talking about 900 AED per months

I asked if the 105 was "regulated by law" and the new rental company replied to me that they usually do not have "short stay", so this is what I should pay to stay less than 12 months...

thought?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sounds about right - they don't even have to offer you the place for 6 months and force you to move.

From my understanding - it has nothing to do with which RE company your landlord decides to use. Doesn't matter if he switched companies, your lease is governed by RERA and so renewal laws apply as per RERA laws. Having said that, even though your lease expired last month, if you were not given any notice to vacate or rent increase, and you did not give a notice to vacate then the lease automatically renewed at the same terms as last year for 1 year. The landlord cannot increase the rent nor kick you out. At the same time, you cannot change the term from 12 months to 6 months.

Based on the above, since you only want to stay 6 months, you are basically signing a brand new lease, not a renewal. Landlord can now refuse to sign a short term lease and ask you to move or charge you whatever he wants.

This is all based on my understanding of the RERA law but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts