Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I am currently in Paris, my next destination is UK. We are planning the move sometime beginning of next year. My work location will be Reading, however I would like to live somewhere West of London (for proximity to London, good public transport etc.). I have following questions, appreciate if you can share views:

a) Is it a good decision to live in West London or is it better to look something in Reading itself. I do not mind driving a little extra as long as my kids (2 and 4 yrs old) can have good school and mobility for my wife (we aren't planning second car)

b) Some suggestions on good areas to live in

c) How does renting process works, how much time it may take to get an apartment/house, as I need to plan with movers accordingly

d) How about schooling, specially pre-school. is it govt provided? how difficult or easy to get in to one?

Thanks in advance for your responses...

-sk

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hello,

I am currently in Paris, my next destination is UK. We are planning the move sometime beginning of next year. My work location will be Reading, however I would like to live somewhere West of London (for proximity to London, good public transport etc.). I have following questions, appreciate if you can share views:

a) Is it a good decision to live in West London or is it better to look something in Reading itself. I do not mind driving a little extra as long as my kids (2 and 4 yrs old) can have good school and mobility for my wife (we aren't planning second car)

b) Some suggestions on good areas to live in

c) How does renting process works, how much time it may take to get an apartment/house, as I need to plan with movers accordingly

d) How about schooling, specially pre-school. is it govt provided? how difficult or easy to get in to one?

Thanks in advance for your responses...

-sk
Reading is about 30 minutes by train to central London. Basically, the nearer to the centre of London, the more expensive you will find all your costs (transport, housing, shopping etc..) Given your criteria for good public transport and proximity to London, I would say Reading would be ideal. It will cut out your commute, and you are still in range of central London.
State education starts at 3 years old. Once you have moved in, contact your local council for details of how to apply to schools/nurseries. If education is a priority for you, do your research to find the best school in an area, then look for a property to rent in the catchment. Good schools are over subscribed, so you do have to plan carefully to get your child a place there.
Two links to school league tables and inspection reports:
Ofsted home / Ofsted - Ofsted
http://www.education.gov.uk/performancetables/schools_09.shtml

Good luck with your move

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lynn

I am now zeroing-in for Reading only.

Hows the renting process works? Do you know some good agents I can contact now?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.