Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've got a French registered car currently registered to our winter let property which we are due out of at the end of April.

Our plan is to undertake a bit of a 2 centre lifestyle in France: Winters in the mountains, summers on the West Coast.

But how does this work with registering the car? We're currently in Gironde (33) moving to Landes (40) and then onto Alps (73 or 74). Since we won't have an official residence, just the seasonal places we will be staying can we go to the local préfecture each time or because we won't have a 'fixed' address will this be difficult?

Your advice as always is welcomed.

Thanks
Sarah

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
We've got a French registered car currently registered to our winter let property which we are due out of at the end of April.

Our plan is to undertake a bit of a 2 centre lifestyle in France: Winters in the mountains, summers on the West Coast.

But how does this work with registering the car? We're currently in Gironde (33) moving to Landes (40) and then onto Alps (73 or 74). Since we won't have an official residence, just the seasonal places we will be staying can we go to the local préfecture each time or because we won't have a 'fixed' address will this be difficult?

Your advice as always is welcomed.

Thanks
Sarah
When you move you will need to change the registration to the new address. If you don't have them already, you will get "for life" plates with a 'numero de immatriculation' - this is not noted with the department number any more so wherever you go you will keep this license plate.

It's not handled by the prefecture anymore but via this website:
Immatriculation vhicule - Le site officiel du ministre de l'Intrieur, de l'Outre-mer, des Collectivits Territoriales et de l'Immigration

If you will moving permanently each time you move then you will probably have to tell them (I did it by mail & email) and all they do is send a new sticker to affix to the Certificate d'immatriculation which has the new address on it. You have to prove your residency status (EDF bill etc) and identification (passport or something). If you have a permanent address and will be travelling around I believe you are OK without changing the registration. Don't forget to tell the insurance company.

Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks David,

We won't have a 'permanent' residence as such since we will be moving between 2 locations (and these will always be different, or at least the specific property addresses will be different even if the region / town are not) will that cause problems do you think?

The answer I'm sure is covered in the link you provided - so thanks very much for that. I'll start reading now (albeit very slowly with my still mediocre French!).

Thanks again,
Sarah

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Thanks David,

We won't have a 'permanent' residence as such since we will be moving between 2 locations (and these will always be different, or at least the specific property addresses will be different even if the region / town are not) will that cause problems do you think?

The answer I'm sure is covered in the link you provided - so thanks very much for that. I'll start reading now (albeit very slowly with my still mediocre French!).

Thanks again,
Sarah
It's pretty easy - you just fill in the form on-line, print it off and mail it; you might even be able to submit it on-line, I didn't try.

If you are changing permanent address every six months I think you need to register it plus of course handling all the other B.S. that goes with moving (mail, utilities, etc). You might want to think about bribing a friend for a fixed address ;-)

Cheers

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks David, that's great. Looks like we need to find a fixed address buddy then!

Have had a quick look through the website and you're right it does look straight forward enough, so all good there!

Thanks again for your help. Hope you're enjoying this gorgeous sunshine - lets hope it continues!
Sarah

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
Just a thought - many (if not most) people in France have two homes: a regular home and a "summer home" in the country. They don't wind up re-registering their vehicle when they move to the summer home. You might try approaching your situation this way - pick one of the two homes as your "permanent residence" and the other as your "summer home" and just leave the cars registered at the "permanent residence."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bev, the problem with this is that neither of them will be owned by us. We will be renting during the winter and the summer and therefore these addresses are likely to change each time we move, since it's unlikely we'll get back into the same summer/winter rental each time. Does that make sense?

It's a tricky one and probably one that isn't easy to maintain, but we're hoping we'll be able to pull it off. Although like any country you need some form of fixed abode for paperwork and accounts, it's just working out the best solution for that.

Perhaps it's a case of paying a service to keep an address for us - normally used for businesses but I think i've seen some personal ones too - I think i obviously need to do more research!

Thanks again for all input.
Sarah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.