Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I am American and lived in France as a student (1989 and 1991/92) and then again as a spouse of a French national from 1996 to 2003. I had a Carte de Resident 10 ans with full right to work valid through 2008. I divorced in 2003 and I've been in the US from 2003 to the present (2013) and am re-married to an American. He is in the process of finalizing a job offer in France and I will follow. My husband will obviously have a Carte de Sejour associated with his employment, but I'm worried here about my right to work.

My question is: does anyone know if I will be able to simply renew my Carte de Resident de 10 ans once I'm on site with my long-term Visa? That would be such nice news!!

·
Administrator
50,008 Posts
Nope, you can only renew a carte de resident (a 10 year card) if you have not been outside France for more than 3 years or outside Europe for more than 6. According to the rules on the Service Public website, you'll need to start over again with a visa - probably a dependent visa on your husband's work visa. Unless he's a scientific-researcher and on that kind of visa, you probably won't be able to work.

Start here on Service Public: Titres, documents de séjour et de circulation des étrangers non européens - Service-public.fr and look through all the files on carte resident. They have made it harder to get a carte resident lately - you practically have to fulfill most of the requirements for taking nationality, only you don't get to vote.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Bev for your detailed answer. You are so knowledgeable! So three years, eh? Thanks makes sense, and when I left 10 years ago I really truly had no intention of going back to work. Funny how life twists around!

My husband just happens to be a scientist, so it seems we're in luck. We'll make sure to request a visa scientifique agreement from his potential employer in any case. We'll see, but in the mean time this forum is full of great information. Thanks for helping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.