Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

Lately I have seen a few rats in the palm tree in the garden and a few of the other trees round the egde of the garden.

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to get rid of them.

Veterano

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
We have seen tree rats in our trees, and walking along the boundary walls, and have been told they don't come into the house, I think I would freak out if one tried to do that.
However if you have pets it would be difficult to put poison and sometimes traps down. We have a dog so wouldn't put poison down, but we are considering getting a cat, that might work!

·
Banned
1,832 Posts
A good sized tom cat (re home if possible & neutered) will cause the rats to quickly look for somewhere else to live. ;)

·
Registered
616 Posts
most people I know in the campo where we are have outside cats and that keeps them at bay usually. We do see the odd one however because we have dogs who can't tolerate cats. A couple of ours dogs will go ratting but not to the same standard as a cat can and would

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi folks

Thanks for the advice. I have bought some rat poison from Mercadona, which I have thrown in the trees, so we will see what that does.

As many people have suggested I may need to get a cat, however I am allergic to them so it will have to stay permanently in the garden.

Veterano

·
Registered
18 Posts
I doubt a cat will get rid of them unless it ferrel, one rat can have upto 800 babies in its lifespan :(

If I were you, I would go to a agricultural shop to buy poison, as mercadona etc only sell a weak form of posion, put it inside a plastic water bottle, cut the opening to the bottle slightly bigger to allow them to enter, put the posion inside, lay the bottle against the walls, as rats tend to keep to one side, but a brick or weight on them or tie them to water pipes etc to stop any animal wanting to pick them up or play with them, if you are actually seeing them, I would think there are a lot more there than you think :( Maybe a dea to always leave a certain amount of rat food around in safe places, place it high up too if you can.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
A good sized tom cat (re home if possible & neutered) will cause the rats to quickly look for somewhere else to live. ;)

Greebo is never around when he's needed

and this was taken when he was in one his better moods, having just had snack of ten vampires, a great white shark and the Antichrist

Attachments

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Greebo is never around when he's needed

and this was taken when he was in one his better moods, having just had snack of ten vampires, a great white shark and the Antichrist
I wondered where the AC had got to. She doesn't seem to be around as much as she was more than a couple of milennia ago when even the Spaniards referred to dates ## anticristo.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
we have had a rat problem as well, but nature helped out. The problem was rats got into the shed where we kept almonds.Then "hissing Sid" (a 4ft long snake) moved in.

Sid and I have an unspoken agreement :: Sid lives there (rent free + all the rats he can eat) and in return he will go away when I need to use the shed

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I wondered where the AC had got to. She doesn't seem to be around as much as she was more than a couple of milennia ago when even the Spaniards referred to dates ## anticristo.
ahh you DO know my Father's 3rd wife.......the one that ,when threatened with she is going to visit, causes people to book a holiday in Antartica or mars or venus

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
As a shooter in the UK I just had a quick look at Spanish law regarding firearms, like the UK, a shotgun license is easy enough to get :ranger:

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
As a shooter in the UK I just had a quick look at Spanish law regarding firearms, like the UK, a shotgun license is easy enough to get :ranger:

ahhh maybe on paper.

My son in law has held a shotgun and firearms licence for 20 plus years... when he made the move to Spain he found out what he had today and did it to the letter and when he brought his guns to Spain, informing the ferry company he had shotguns in his car, plus the minute he landed in Spain he informed the correct people before he made the journey south to his home and then when he got home he went to his local police station to inform them the guns were now in Spain and in regulation cabinets, showed his licence for the UK etc...

Guns are now back in the UK.

I wont bore you with the story of how my exhusband almost didn't get his licence renewed because quite simply the policeman who came to see the cabinet etc told us.. I don't believe in fieldsports..

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
Bad news Maiden, very bad. Shotgun tickets in the UK are very easy to get, a full chitty FAC is much harder and rightly so.

I have been shooting since age six or seven when dad gave me an air pistol and taught me how to use it safely. I shot everything from .22 pistols to .44 magnums but now I can't own a pistol (broadly speaking) yet I can own a sniper rifle which can kill you at a kilometre. Shooting is a wonderful sport and hobby.

Its a crazy world at times.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update on the rats

Bad news Maiden, very bad. Shotgun tickets in the UK are very easy to get, a full chitty FAC is much harder and rightly so.

I have been shooting since age six or seven when dad gave me an air pistol and taught me how to use it safely. I shot everything from .22 pistols to .44 magnums but now I can't own a pistol (broadly speaking) yet I can own a sniper rifle which can kill you at a kilometre. Shooting is a wonderful sport and hobby.

Its a crazy world at times.

This thread seems to have been hijacked by a debate on guns!

Anyway after throwing some poison in the trees I found a dead rat today under the palm tree.

One day, ......several more to go!

Veterano

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rats are a very real problem, in some ways worse than in the UK, because they are almost a rat/squirrel hybrid. Over the last couple of years I have managed to cut numbers back, but they are always reappearing. A couple of tips that I have found to work well follow, and I'd appreciate feedback from anyone else to improve what I do.

First off, eradicate all places where they can shelter. Don't allow them access to spaces where they can nest, so make all outhouses etc rat proof. Composts and rubbish heaps are like hotels, so look at them too. Traps are of limited use (but helpful) as the damn things are so intelligent, and very fast learners.

Poison. I don't use it for a number of reasons. You can be as careful as you like with how you put baits down, but a poisoned rat carcass can kill your pets or someone else's. There is however a poison you can use which leaves the bodies harmless. Get plaster of paris and mix it about 50:50 with dry oat flakes, stale four, breadcrumbs, anything that a rat will go for. I save all the out of date food, stale biscuits etc, all get ground down and mixed with plaster of paris powder. Put the bait out in tubes wedged against walls etc - if you have dogs weigh them down well, and put out water for the rats to drink. Works like a charm.

I'm trying to design a trap where the trigger is a biscuit, as normal traps have a limited success rate.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
The obvious thing is not to leave any scraps of food or anything else lying around that rats might eat.
Keeping trees, bushes and shrubs well-pruned helps avoid creating cosy areas for rats.
We found two large and dead rats in our garden about two years ago but since we've adopted a feral cat we've seen none.
We put out food and drink every morning inside a small kennel that we inherited with the garden and the cat (Kincat) has grown sleek and fat. It is still feral and won't let us approach it.
I do worry that it could get too plump to evade Our Little Azor, who strongly disapproves of its presence in his garden.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.