Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Expats

Can we have some tips for Ramadan for Newbies (like myself)

I understand certain rules

Can't eat,smoke drink in public.
Can't hold hands, dance or play loud music
Everything is shut at 2pm
And to be very respectful

Any tips for a non-muslim to enjoy Ramadan, like have a massive breakfast, don't go to hotel a/b/c

Igs

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Time Out and What's on Dubai usually have Ramadan booklets which have some useful information. I'm not sure if they are for sale yet.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My tip is to leave. Seriously. That's what I'm doing. I frequently require food, water and medication throughout the day due to regulating several medical conditions. I arrived last year during the last week of Ramadan, and running around looking for toilets or tunnels to hide in so as to gulp some water and pills was not fun.

Obviously, leaving isn't feasible for everyone. I added a couple notes below.

Hello Expats

Can't eat,smoke drink in public. (I believe in public also includes inside your vehicle.)
No chewing gum
Can't hold hands, dance or play loud music (If wearing headphones, it should not be so loud that others can hear it.)

Any tips for a non-muslim to enjoy Ramadan, like have a massive breakfast, don't go to hotel a/b/c

Igs

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
one of the previous moderators used to do a thread on this
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/du...ubai/159122-annual-ramadan-thread-2013-a.html

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/du...iving-dubai/115335-annual-ramadan-thread.html

no, not everything closes at 2 pm. Offices work normally (but shortened hours).

do not drive around Iftar time - people are dehydrated, hungry, and rushing home/somewhere else for prayers and breaking their fast - hence driving could be "worse".

I love being here during Ramadan - shorter office hours (I can work from home if I have work), can be in office late, work slows down a bit, traffic when I leave or come to office is much better than normal, most malls etc are emptier during the day etc. I can duck to my office canteen for food, water etc so don't feel the effect (in fact in my previous company my Muslim colleagues didn't mind/encouraged us to eat/drink normally like we always did). I always try and go away just prior to Eid to avoid the crowds and associated madness.
[Maybe I just don't like people]

·
Registered
864 Posts
enjoy the iftar and suhoor buffets at almost all hotels... they put on lavish spreads of both ethnic as well as international food and are very cost effective...

also, availability of booze at hotels is hit and miss during the month, some hotels wont have booze period, and others will have booze only after 7:30 pm... if its a required item on your list, check beforehand on what the hotel's policy is... bars generally will be open (unless they chose to be closed for the whole month) after 7:30 but there is no music...

be extra patient when driving, temper's are usually more quick to flare up, specially from a 4 pm - 9pm...

no eat/drink/smoke in public - including your car/balcony... basically anywhere you can be seen by people...

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My tip is to leave. Seriously. That's what I'm doing. I frequently require food, water and medication throughout the day due to regulating several medical conditions. I arrived last year during the last week of Ramadan, and running around looking for toilets or tunnels to hide in so as to gulp some water and pills was not fun.

Obviously, leaving isn't feasible for everyone. I added a couple notes below.
Gulp. :spit:

Sounds like a great time to be in UAE. Only blessing is that's its for only 4 weeks. Am I right after Ramadan there is some public holidays?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
My tip is to leave. Seriously. That's what I'm doing. I frequently require food, water and medication throughout the day due to regulating several medical conditions.
Even Muslims who are on medication or pregnant are not required to fast. Carry on as normal but I'd to be discrete just to avoid jobsworth security guards etc.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It's nowhere nearly as bad as some people may have you think (exceptions made for those with health issues).

If your office has a no food/water policy, it usually means a conference room is closed off for lunches and can be quite festive. Nip into the kitchen/canteen for drinks of water, which gives you excuses to get away from your desk for a few minutes.

You should be able to leave early, usually around 4 PM, so your working days are shorter. Work slows down all across the UAE so people are more relaxed. In New Dubai you'll hardly notice the effect of Ramadan hours but in the older parts of town many businesses do close all afternoon and reopen only in the evenings, so remember this if you ever go down to Bur Dubai or Deira.

Smoking/drinking/eating in public is an obvious no, but in my building people smoke on their balconies during Ramadan and toted water and ate food in the pool areas during daylight hours. As Ramadan overlaps with the summer this year, you won't want to be spending much time outside during the day, so it hardly makes a difference.

Hotels will have some restaurants open for lunches (minus the alcohol) and even the malls will have a few dining options that are screened off. All the big hotels will serve food/non-alcoholic drinks by their pools and beach areas and smoking will be tolerated down there.

Prayer calls are around 7:15 and the orgy begins afterwards at the buffets all across Dubai. Bars are back in business and most of the popular westernized bars and restaurants will be fully operational after prayer calls. The party never ends in Dubai ;) It just gets a bit quieter and saner during Ramadan.

I like Ramadan for the reasons rsinner mentioned.

Hello Expats

Can't eat,smoke drink in public.
Can't hold hands, dance or play loud music

Igs

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You're hauled to the prison in Bur Dubai, where you will languish for weeks in a cell block shared with 20 stinky labourers. Then you'll be sent to an all-Arabic hearing where you are automatically found guilty. After serving a three month sentence at a prison camp in the desert, with no air conditioning, you are deported.

What happens is I get caught taking a sneaky drink of water?!
Nothing happens but a scolding and maybe a fine. Never heard if it happening to anyone. I'll drink water in my car. After 8+ years still haven't had anything happen to me :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also like Ramadan for exactly the reasons stated above. I know there are places that are open in the mall, but I distinctly remember wandering around the Dubai mall last year in a hangry state unable to find somewhere that was closed off to eat. I generally get uncomfortable in crowds at the mall anyways, so I probably gave up too soon...
Personally I prefer to bring my lunch from home to work as opposed to going out; then I don't need to be anxious about getting in the elevator to go back to the office with a smelly burrito or something and risk someone that is fasting getting in with me :)
I remember going to the gym last year and having my water bottle discreetly tucked away in the corner- no issue, but I'll have to check with my gym what the policy is for this year.
My team at work usually goes to one Iftar together. It's a nice team outing, and if you have the chance then you should go to one.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never thought about water in the gym. Though, I can't imagine many muslims can go when I go around 6:30pm. Due to hunger and tiredness.

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
Never thought about water in the gym. Though, I can't imagine many muslims can go when I go around 6:30pm. Due to hunger and tiredness.
The Muslims will be getting ready to break their fast as Iftar will be after 7:00pm. Nevertheless, even if there are no Muslims in the gym while you're there, you're better off being mindful and respectful of the rules.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also, if anyone is thinking of joining a gym now is a good time... They usually have Ramadan offers where you get a few months for free. And it's pretty quiet at the gyms for the summer

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would love to know which of the tips above are myths? or any others that haven't been mentioned yet? It's a serious question.

I'm still fairly new here, but I've had the fear of God and the wrath of the locals instilled in me, mostly from reading in this forum. Gulf News and Emirates 24/7 don't help, either. :(

Thank you

Some people just make me feel I live in another Dubai. Lots of myths going around.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would love to know which of the tips above are myths? or any others that haven't been mentioned yet? It's a serious question.

I'm still fairly new here, but I've had the fear of God and the wrath of the locals instilled in me, mostly from reading in this forum. Gulf News and Emirates 24/7 don't help, either. :(

Thank you
TOTALLY AGREE!! (Had to Caps it to show my agreement) I have been here since November.

I literally avoid locals, and I am very careful what I say here. Due to not knowing what I can say, etiquette, can i look directly at them, smile, any thing. In truth it makes things quite uncomfortable for me being around locals.

My partner got screamed at in a shopping mall on the 1st week we moved here for what she was wearing. We were in Al Wahda Mall, and she wore a skirt to her knees and a cardigan. Doesn't help shes Russian, Long Blonde Hair and smoking Hot!! :heh::heh:

Tbh, to the post about not drinking water in the gym - I don't know how Id react if someone told me to not drink in the gym, i believe I wouldn't be polite back. But I am talking about a gym in my apartments not a local gym.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't be obsessed with Ramadhan. Most people are too scared to know the fact that prohibition of eating/drinking in public is only applicable during dawn to dusk. I do drink, eat and smoke in public after sunset just like any other normal day.

Besides the benefits mentioned here, avail the various deals in malls/electronics during this month before Eid.

·
Registered
864 Posts
In truth it makes things quite uncomfortable for me being around locals.
its probably because a lot of the stories you hear are singled out and grossly exaggerated to make good stories... every single local i know (and i know a lot of them) is friendly, and frankly some expats i know are more obnoxious than how people make locals out to be...

...My partner got screamed at in a shopping mall on the 1st week we moved here for what she was wearing. We were in Al Wahda Mall, and she wore a skirt to her knees and a cardigan...
really? i have personally never seen someone screaming... i have observed people politely commenting to others when their dress is a bit too revealing, but its never to the level of screaming...

could this be a case of the exaggeration i mentioned?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts