Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a job working at the RAK Acedemy from Sept. I will be teaching at the secondary school. Was wondering if anyone else was going out there this year. Don't know which appt. i'll be in yet but sure it will be ok. Traveling from Manchester on the 24th August, anyone else going out then? Be good to talk to others xx Michelle x

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have a job working at the RAK Acedemy from Sept. I will be teaching at the secondary school. Was wondering if anyone else was going out there this year. Don't know which appt. i'll be in yet but sure it will be ok. Traveling from Manchester on the 24th August, anyone else going out then? Be good to talk to others xx Michelle x
Hi,
I have been working in RAK academy (RAKESS) for 3 years now in the PYP primary playgroup. I also have 3 daughters in secondary! I don't live in the appartments but know that many teachers do. I do know that the new teachers will have an orientation week where you will be shown the important places in RAK..the school, carrefour and the sailing club aka local hangout! If you have any questions, I can try to answer them. See you soon! Katherine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Katherine
thanks for your reply, really excited about starting in September. Sounds like I'll get to know where things are etc. Hope your daughters like the secondary school, I'll probably get to see them.
Enjoy the summer hols. Look forward to meeting you in Sept. Michelle xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi Katherine
thanks for your reply, really excited about starting in September. Sounds like I'll get to know where things are etc. Hope your daughters like the secondary school, I'll probably get to see them.
Enjoy the summer hols. Look forward to meeting you in Sept. Michelle xx
Hi,
The girls are loving their time in RAK Academy! Two will be in 6 form and the other starting GCSE in year 10.
Enjoy your holiday too and see you in Sept! Katherinex

·
Registered
43 Posts
Could I ask do you know much about the area there to live in as somebody single and in 20s? Also how is the salary offered compared to Adec? Have been researching private schools vs the Adec public scheme for both lifestyle and salary as I'm hoping to go in August 2013

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hiya

My chat went well and I should be receiving the contract in the next couple of days. Really excited and nervous as well. Ill be teaching primary p.e. but I'm actually secondary trained so its all going to be quite new for me. I'm 31 and travelling out there alone. Got any advice you can offer? Have about a thousand questions if you could answer any that would be fab.
-Are you able to save on your salary?
-Did you buy a car when you got there?
-Whats the accommodation like and and do staff tend to hang about together on evenings?
-What clothing should I bring for, general wear, nights out and will I need heels or just flats?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of these questions.

Jo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hiya

My chat went well and I should be receiving the contract in the next couple of days. Really excited and nervous as well. Ill be teaching primary p.e. but I'm actually secondary trained so its all going to be quite new for me. I'm 31 and travelling out there alone. Got any advice you can offer? Have about a thousand questions if you could answer any that would be fab.
-Are you able to save on your salary?
-Did you buy a car when you got there?
-Whats the accommodation like and and do staff tend to hang about together on evenings?
-What clothing should I bring for, general wear, nights out and will I need heels or just flats?

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of these questions.

Jo
Hi Jo Congratualations, Welcome to RAK
You have the same questions as I did last year.
I haven't really saved but that's because I bought things for the apartment, love to shop and am always out :) It is possible to save and still have a good time.
I have just bought a car off someone who is leaving this year, Taxis are easy and people are always willing to offer lifts.
Accommodation is ok, bit basic but looks better once you add your own touches.
Staff do hang around together I'll take you to the Golf Club when you get here, First drink on me :)
You will need loose fitting clothes, linen is good, it's very hot most of year but will need cardi for about 5 weeks inthe evening. Some heels for night but mostly flip flops and flats for work. Evenings, cropped trousers, jeans, nice tops, tend to wear tops with short sleeves, strappy tops not really ok here you will get a lot of unwanted attention. Long skirts though some of my friends do wear skirts to their Knee.
Plenty of shops here so don't worry to much. Can get most things here.
Looking forward to seeing you in August I teach in Secondary so will try to meet up with you, I came out here on my own it took a little while to settle but I really like it now.
Any more questions just ask
Michelle

·
Registered
43 Posts
The school sounds great, i like the sound of the lifestyle. I know it's quieter, but would there be groups of people in their 20's or 30's and a good mix of males and females or is it majority families? Just curious on the demographic!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
irishgirl86 said:
The school sounds great, i like the sound of the lifestyle. I know it's quieter, but would there be groups of people in their 20's or 30's and a good mix of males and females or is it majority families? Just curious on the demographic!
There's a mix here, sure you'll find people to hang around with :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone

I've been offered a job in RAK and am looking for schools for my two boys who are 4 and 6. We've looked at Rakess and are quite happy except I heard that the vast majority of children speak Arabic at break time. I don't want my children to feel ostracized because they don't share the same first language as the rest of the student population.

Does anyone work at the school? Can you provide any more information on what the school environment is like? Does anyone have any other recommendations for schools? I'd be grateful for any information from people 'on the ground'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will do when we get there - just wanted to have some assurance before we left that my children wouldn't have any problem integrating into the school. They speak English and French but not Arabic (yet). I just don't want them to feel ostracized at break time if the vast majority of students are speaking Arabic - it may be difficult for them to make friends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Michelle. Sorry I never wrote back on here. Had such a busy summer getting ready for the move. Had a good first week but very tired. Were you at the golf club last night? I was there but got so drunk I had to be taken home. Hope to catch up with you soon. I'm at the BC Primary in the P.E. department.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.