Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Are you saying your lender won't remortgage, even though you are still working and have 50k equity? Yikes.

I know it's a lot harder getting loans in the UK than when I lived there but do these dodgy brokers not still exist, who can get you mortgages at inflated rates when the banks turn you down? If I was sufficiently confident I would find a buyer soon and would be able to repay within a year or so, that's what I might consider, in extremis.

I was in that situation but t'was back in the days when British banks threw money at you. I went to my bank to apply for a topup mortgage and was interviewed by an advisor who was a mere child. I explained upfront what I wanted the money for and she said We couldn't lend in those circumstances, but if you decided to stay in the house and use the money for home improvements we could lend it, do you think you might change your mind about the purpose of the loan? So I said Yes I suppose I might, and she filled in a new form and we all signed it and they gave me the money. Makes me shudder to think what might have happened if I hadn't found a buyer, but I did, and I got away with it. It's not surprising that that particular bank needed bailing out a few years later.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.