Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am currently employed as a thermit welder on the railway in the UK and would like to relocate to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. I am finding it difficult to find jobs advertising this type of work and what companies to contact to inquire about my profession. I understand different companies offer different packages but I am married and have 2 children and would want to bring them with me so the package has to suit the family.

If you have any information or advice about thermit welding please reply, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, I look forward to your response.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
You've not got a chance. The reason the jobs aren't advertised is that they aren't needed.

Thermit welding principally means low cost labour from the subcontinent which will mean a salary you are not willing to accept.

There are no main line railways in the GCC, a few old lines, , and few metros. Doha and Riyadh are constructing metros at the time but most labour is low cost. Dubai Metro extension won't need imported labour as the capability if already here.

The chances of getting a Brit package with accommodation and schools is practically nil.
\
You'd have more chance as a ski instructor.

Sorry.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Parts of Etihad Rail have been running for 2-3 years.

No further track being laid down though, as phase 2 is in mothballs.
Indeed - I was referring to new tracks as neither the metro extension, Riyadh or Doha need track welders yet. And when they do, there wont be a westerner doing the work.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Etihad Rail have 264km of track in Abu Dhabi. Will be more when phase 2 and 3 actually start.
It doesn't matter if there is a million km of track - there won't be a westerner in sight.

Its also fair to say that the Union Rail/Etihad Rail or whatever its being called this year, is a project with a long history of being kicked down the road time-wise. It'll be 2021 before anyone even thinks of starting it up as there's little point without GCC wide agreements and I recall an article in Gulf news or similar last week, to that effect.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Foreman do welding, flashbutt and Thermit. Supervisor position for Thermit is currently being advertised. Not much welding to do in a new railway, but positions still have to be filled.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts