Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out with a friend of mine the other day and we decided to go to longs for ladies night (Tuesday).

My friend is half hong kong and half english - i was allowed in she was refused, so i talked to the manager - an arab - he said that he as an arab would also not be allowed in and that longs was an english only bar really - the fact that the gorilla on the door is allowed carte blanche to let or not allow people in totally dependent on the colour of there skin is bang out of order.

So that's longs off my visit list now (not that I'll be missing anything!).

Have you been the victim of racial abuse here?

·
Banned
598 Posts
Yes, by English that dislike Americans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in the process of moving over I'm English and my wife Singaporean Chinese ........ and as for the kids well .....

But seriously is this a problem ?
Coming from a well integrated multiracial society (Singapore), it isn't something we even considered when evaluating the move.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am an American of Asian Descent that just moved back from Dubai.

Occasionally that stuff happens. The worst part is that there is really no recourse for it. You don't like it, they don't care. I've been denied entrance to bars in the middle of Dubai summer for wearing flip flops but 'National Dress Sandals' are permitted. I fail to see the difference.

Dubai is one of the most tiered societies in the world. Recently in the UAE there was a mall that wanted to ban laborers. Seriously...

UAE Nationals and Arabs are at the top
Then UK ex-pats
Then conglomerate of Aussie/South Africian ex-pats
European ex-pats
American ex-pats - Not too many of us there

then Laborers - Mainly Indian/Pakistanis/Filipinos

If anyone tells you an Arab gets the same treatment as an Indian in Dubai they're lying...
Having said all that... it's no worse than any other place where you aren't local. ;)

my 2 cents

·
Registered
18 Posts
Missing a couple of tiers,,,,,,,,,,,,,

UAE Nationals - who own everything
Palestinians - run everything for the above
Lebonese
Expats
Laborers

Question? how were you perceived as a expat of Asian decent?
decently (educated) or a expat of the wrong sort?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well I 'look' Filipino though I am not.
I was born and raised in the US and have a doctorate.
Many times when alone I could sense people feeling as if they were superior to me,
until I opened my mouth and spoke English well. Then their attitudes changed.... And quickly at that.
I also worked directly for a sheikh (not like twelve levels down but pretty much he payed for my compensation) so that helped.
Dubai is a highly material and judgmental society. My advice- dress/act the part and learn Arabic.

Missing a couple of tiers,,,,,,,,,,,,,

UAE Nationals - who own everything
Palestinians - run everything for the above
Lebonese
Expats
Laborers

Question? how were you perceived as a expat of Asian decent?
decently (educated) or a expat of the wrong sort?

·
Banned
82 Posts
Having said all that... it's no worse than any other place where you aren't local. ;)
True, BUT usually its the citizens of a country that discriminate against foreigners, not the law of the country (at least not in Europe/US etc). Out here its the law that also discriminates.

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True, BUT usually its the citizens of a country that discriminate against foreigners, not the law of the country (at least not in Europe/US etc). Out here its the law that also discriminates.
What's that got to do with a bouncer who's been told by his employers not to let (m)any women in who aren't caucasian.

Well, it's cos they can and no-one, no-one gives a flying fook about it.

Incidentally the Night Managers name - yes he did give it to me - is Medhat Handi Towers Rotana Dubai - 04 343 8000. But don't try to get in if you ain't white.

And this is coming from the whitest (I hate the sun) bloke in the UAE!

·
Registered
185 Posts
mmm i don't know why all people thing that is the arab in the fornt in every thing in UAE

i thing you are wrong

iwill come with you all ( if arab in fornt why we must be in back and this is our country )

can any one tell me why forign people here in arab state have a good life here ?

i think arab better than other because we make the forign people here like us and they make arab people in Europ an US like a ****

if you want to know who is the best here try to connect with arab and see if arab here have a good life or not

bye

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look buddy, I've got loads of local mates, we go to bars, have shisha, and talk rubbish just like i do with my western mates, to me there's no difference, apart from locals are somewhat more inhibited....

·
Banned
82 Posts
If a Brit with the same qualifications as an Indian (who might have even studied in Europe/US) makes 3 times as much as the Indian, then of course I think that the govt here practices racism!

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And thank you bdb for your very insightful comments about the racism that exists in the bars of the sandy city.

From what I have seen the most racist people here in general are Indians, as they are racist towards there own people based on caste etc.

However that is for another thread....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm in the process of moving over I'm English and my wife Singaporean Chinese ........ and as for the kids well .....

But seriously is this a problem ?
Coming from a well integrated multiracial society (Singapore), it isn't something we even considered when evaluating the move.
from personal experience, i wouldn't say it's a serious problem but she will always be better off when you're with her. she will likely feel a difference in how she's treated when she's alone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I 'look' Filipino though I am not.

Dubai is a highly material and judgmental society. My advice- dress/act the part and learn Arabic.
I am Filipina from Canada married to a Caucasian.

Here, (compared to Canada) I feel, to be treated with respect, I must be well dressed + designer bag + expensive jewelry at all times.

I also find I must speak authoritatively.

SAD, but that is just how it is.

There are occasions when waiters do not listen to me attentively and do not pour my water as he does with my Caucasian companions.

My advice, when slighted or discriminated, accept and roll with the punches. It is too tiring otherwise. I believe anger, disappointments and all the negative emotions will show on my face, and no, I won't have that!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.