Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there are posts about this...so sorry guys:p

I am an american citizen, and my fiance is british. We currently live in england, but he has been offered a job in Texas. They want to put him on an R1 visa, and then move to the green card once we are married.

My question is. Can we get married on an R1? Do we have to wait a certain amount of time? is it bad that we are engaged and he will be applying for an R1?

We were planning to live in england, so our lives are a bit crazy right now. We were going to get married on my tier 5 charity visa in england and then apply for a spouse visa. Now i have no idea what the process is for an R1 to green card!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
You can get married as planned:)

He will be on R1 and you are US citizen. Unless you plan to stay in the US past his R1 it makes not much sense to go through the Green Card process. Please read the section "after a Green Card is granted".

Please make sure your UK side is taken care of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your quick reply! Most helpful.

What are other options besides a green card, then? I thought he needed to be on one once we are off the R1?

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
thank you for your quick reply! Most helpful.

What are other options besides a green card, then? I thought he needed to be on one once we are off the R1?
You said you will live in the UK after his stint in the US. R1 is non- immigrant ip to five years if memory does not fail me.

Did you read the requirements for maintaining a Green Card?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts