Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am an American working in Paris and am in the midst of renewing my titre de séjour "travailleur temporaire". However, the rendez-vous I got at the Prefecture is not until after my titre de séjour expires (about a month after to be precise). I was told by another American that I need to go to the Prefecture about 2 weeks before my titre de séjour expires and ask for a récipissé which will allow me to stay in the country legally. However, they did not know if I am allowed to work.

Does anyone know if I am legally allowed to work with the récipissé for the month (or more) between the time my titre de séjour expires and before I get it renewed? Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Every prefecture in France seems to have a slightly different procedure for these things, so it's a bit difficult to generalize. Technically, you should have gotten a récipissé when you applied to renew your carte de séjour (or titre de séjour, or whatever).

How did you get your rendez-vous at the préfecture? Did they give you anything (or did you submit anything) at that time? If you can get a récipissé from the préfecture, I suspect you'd be ok for working during the period between your submitting your request and the rendez-vous, but you may have to ask the préfecture about that.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every prefecture in France seems to have a slightly different procedure for these things, so it's a bit difficult to generalize. Technically, you should have gotten a récipissé when you applied to renew your carte de séjour (or titre de séjour, or whatever).

How did you get your rendez-vous at the préfecture? Did they give you anything (or did you submit anything) at that time? If you can get a récipissé from the préfecture, I suspect you'd be ok for working during the period between your submitting your request and the rendez-vous, but you may have to ask the préfecture about that.
Cheers,
Bev
Hello,

France has gotten modern! Whoa! I made my rendez-vous ONLINE to renew my carte de séjour and printed a convocation which I have to show to them in person when I ask for a récépissé.

I think you are right that it depends on all cases. I've tried calling them to no avail (but to the "delight" of lovely classical waiting music). I'll try calling their renewal number again until I reach someone - if not, I can go down and ask them in person, but that's never my preferred.

Thanks for your response!

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
Hello,

France has gotten modern! Whoa! I made my rendez-vous ONLINE to renew my carte de séjour and printed a convocation which I have to show to them in person when I ask for a récépissé.

I think you are right that it depends on all cases. I've tried calling them to no avail (but to the "delight" of lovely classical waiting music). I'll try calling their renewal number again until I reach someone - if not, I can go down and ask them in person, but that's never my preferred.

I can tell you live in the big city. Out here in the boonies (35 km outside Paris) the prefecture can be a little slower to automate these things. Though to be fair, I do take full advantage of the online facilities I've stumbled onto. They're getting quite fancy lately, and I especially like the way you file your tax return online. But I can't seem to get into the site where I have to do our payroll report for 2009. Too many other folks doing the same thing at the same time - guess I'll do it over the weekend.

It may help, too, that I finally got my French nationality and no longer have to worry about titres de sejour - just renew my carte d'identité every 10 years (and by then perhaps our local mairie will actually use those computers taking up space on their desks!).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello,

How did you manage that? I constantly get an error reply! Any hints will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
jenaymar,

If your renewal is anything like student renewal, then no, you can't work while waiting for your RDV. Once you have your recipisse, then you should be authorized once again.

Now, since you are just going to have to wait a little bit, if you have to show your last bulletins de paie at your appointment, but you don't have to show your bank statements - then, if you already have a paying job, and your employer didn't bother to ask you for your new carte yet, you just continue working, they pay you, you don't show the last bulletins de paie at your appointment, just show the ones for the time that your carte was valid, and voilà.

If asked, you can also tell your company the prefecture is experiencing delays, that's why you don't have your new carte yet. The catch is that means that this company will be paying illegally in the interim and it could get them into trouble if the prefecture found out.

Would the prefecture find out? Not likely unless someone goes and tells them.

What kind of salary/financial documents do you have to hand in at your renewal appointment?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am an Non-EU Ctizen married to an EU-(Italian) -Citizen. We moved to france from Italy just 2 months ago. I am holding a Italian Green-Card since my wife is Italian, but here in France the gave me at the prefecture a recepisse de soujour valid for 4 months only without the right to work. My wife has got a job here and she has a contrat de travail à durée indéterminée (CDI) . I can still dont understand why they didnt give me permis de sojour with the right to work for a longer time of period instead! any tips?

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
I am an Non-EU Ctizen married to an EU-(Italian) -Citizen. We moved to france from Italy just 2 months ago. I am holding a Italian Green-Card since my wife is Italian, but here in France the gave me at the prefecture a recepisse de soujour valid for 4 months only without the right to work. My wife has got a job here and she has a contrat de travail à durée indéterminée (CDI) . I can still dont understand why they didnt give me permis de sojour with the right to work for a longer time of period instead! any tips?
You need to go back to the préfecture with a copy of this page from the Service Public website: Citoyens européens et suisses : installer sa famille proche en France - Service-public.fr

Your wife should go with you, with all her identity documents and a copy of her work contract and the lease for where you are living.

Your Italian Green Card doesn't get you anything here unless you've been living in Italy for at least 5 years (I think it is). Easier to go for the carte de séjour as the spouse of an EU national exercising their rights.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Every time we go there , they tell us a senseless different story. they seem like they dont know what they doing, i mean really, we are tired of going there, waiting in the crazy line by 7 am in the morning for nothing, but we will go again sometime this week again with the link you gave me. Goddddd, I miss America's immgrt system! thankyou again, I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Renewal dates

If you live in Paris, you just go here and take an appointment.
Thanks. That's the link that didn't work for me. It didn't coz we found out that it only works from 6 to 2 months prior to the expiry date of my Titre. And we also found out that change of status is not allowed, so, waiting is what we are doing right now.

Thanks for the hint anyway.:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hard for us all.

Every time we go there , they tell us a senseless different story. they seem like they dont know what they doing, i mean really, we are tired of going there, waiting in the crazy line by 7 am in the morning for nothing, but we will go again sometime this week again with the link you gave me. Goddddd, I miss America's immgrt system! thankyou again, I really appreciate your help.
Welcome to out world friend. It is surprising though to read it is also hard for the straight couples to deal with the French system. Very shocking as I heard (and saw on TV) that this is a very old fashioned society, meaning, one would expect it to be easier for them, really :rolleyes:

If you have time, check our posts to see our troubles.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my rdv to renew my titre de sejour, and as luck would have it, the rdv is just 3 days after the expiration. So close! I work, so do I need to go to the prefecture to get an attestation for the few days between my expiration and my appointment, or does it not matter? If I don't, will it complicate things?

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
How did you get your rdv - did they send you a letter, or did you have to go online to set up the appointment? If they sent you the rdv, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using an online system, you might try checking again daily, if necessary, to see if you can get an earlier appointment.

But unless you're asked on a regular basis to show your carte de sejour, I wouldn't worry about the 3 day lapse.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just for other peoples' reference, I actually called the information section to ask the same question, and I was told that if your appointment is only shortly after your titre de sejour's expiration date AND if you don't plan to leave the country, you don't have to worry. I am not sure what constitutes a "short time" to them, but it will save me a trip to the Prefecture to get the récipissé.

·
Administrator
50,414 Posts
That sounds about right. In the 10 years I had my first carte de séjour/resident (the legal problems I had went until they had to give me a 10 year card rather than just a one-year kind), I think I actually had to show it twice: once to exchange my (German) driver's license for a French one, and another time because I wanted to pay at a store by check.

It's extremely rare that you have to show your carte de séjour for anything really important.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.