Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Roselle. I have Filipino nationality and a British residence card as a Family member of an EU national (Spanish). We are living in UK but soon we'll be moving to France to live and work. Once in France, I know that I should apply as soon as possible for a residence card but can I work as soon as we are there? Or do I need to wait for the récépissé / certificate of application? or the residence card? Will the certificate of application allow me to work? Thank you.

·
Administrator
50,462 Posts
Basically, yes, you'll be ok to work once you've applied for your carte de séjour as the family member of an EU national, however it's kind of up to the individual prefecture if you'll get any sort of receipt for your application or not. The actual getting of the card shouldn't take more than a few weeks.

If you already have a job lined up, that's fine. But if you're going to be looking for work, most potential employers will want to see the carte de séjour noting that you have full work rights.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply. It was really helpful and positive. In UK I had to wait for about 4 months for the residence card and reading that it might be ready in a few weeks is good news. I was also wondering what will happen with my UK residence card once I get the French one. I guess it would be cancelled, right? or is it posible to have more than one residence card in a passport? We might be coming back to UK after a year or two and I fear I might need to go trough the whole process again once back in UK. Many thanks,
Roselle

·
Administrator
50,462 Posts
If you're going to be resident in France, I suspect that invalidates your UK residence card and yes, if you return to the UK, you'll have to go back to square one.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts