Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If parents have three children. One is permanent resident in Australia and second is on study visa and is studying in Australia.

1. Then will they be eligible to apply for parent visa?
  2. And secondly, are there any waiting periods before a permanent resident can sponsor his/her parents?
  3. Thirdly, normally how much time it is taking now a days for parent visa or contributory parent visa to be approved?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

No, there is a rule for Parent visa requiring at least half or a majority of the children to be PRs in Australia. It is called the Balance of Family test

Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

So for 3 children the minimum requirement to sponsor a parent is:
2 children PR in Australia
1 Child outside Australia

Right now you have:
1 Child PR in Australia
1 Child temp resident

If your child who is currently studying becomes a PR then you can be sponsored for Parent visa.

There are no waiting periods before a PR can sponsor parents.

Regular parent visa processing (103): 10 yrs+
Contributory parent visa processing (143): 2 yrs+

The processing is long because there is a limit to the number of parents per year, so there is a large queue of parents waiting in that queue.

The limits and waiting periods are listed on the Immi website.

Good luck :)

If parents have three children. One is permanent resident in Australia and second is on study visa and is studying in Australia.

1. Then will they be eligible to apply for parent visa?
  2. And secondly, are there any waiting periods before a permanent resident can sponsor his/her parents?
  3. Thirdly, normally how much time it is taking now a days for parent visa or contributory parent visa to be approved?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi:

No, there is a rule for Parent visa requiring at least half or a majority of the children to be PRs in Australia. It is called the Balance of Family test

Right now you have:
1 Child PR in Australia
1 Child temp resident

If your child who is currently studying becomes a PR then you can be sponsored for Parent visa.

The processing is long because there is a limit to the number of parents per year, so there is a large queue of parents waiting in that queue.

Hi Amaslam

I would like to differ on the 2nd point you mentioned regarding waiting periods for a PR to sponsor his/her parents.

As far as I know there is a 2 years waiting period for a PR before they can sponsor their parents.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Best Regards

Faisal

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I do not see the 2 yr waiting period listed on the Immi website for Parent visas. Do you have a link to this information?

As far as I'm aware once you are a PR and in Australia you may sponsor your parents.

Hi Amaslam

I would like to differ on the 2nd point you mentioned regarding waiting periods for a PR to sponsor his/her parents.

As far as I know there is a 2 years waiting period for a PR before they can sponsor their parents.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Best Regards

Faisal

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
When I enquired about this before I was told that you had to show that you were settled in Australia but I was not told a time limit. So as long as you were settled and had PR then you could sponsor your parents.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I enquired about this before I was told that you had to show that you were settled in Australia but I was not told a time limit. So as long as you were settled and had PR then you could sponsor your parents.

Regards,
Karen
Dear Karen and Amaslam

According to Parent Migration Booklet 3 of DIAC, one of the basic requirements to be met for parent visa is:

1. applicants have a child who is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen in Australia;

Now the term "settled" is described as follows in the beginning of the booklet,

"To meet settled requirements, a person must have been resident
in Australia for a reasonable period, usually 2 years".

Please correct me if I have misunderstood this point.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
A reasonable period can also mean someone who has a mailing address (private home/unit) in Australia as well.

I think settled could also be met if a person has a full-time job, bank accounts in AU, a unit/house, and filing AU tax returns. It should show that the person has significant ties to living in Australia.

While 2 yrs would definitely meet this requirement ultimately the CO can decide if a shorter period is also suitable.

Dear Karen and Amaslam

According to Parent Migration Booklet 3 of DIAC, one of the basic requirements to be met for parent visa is:

1. applicants have a child who is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen in Australia;

Now the term "settled" is described as follows in the beginning of the booklet,

"To meet settled requirements, a person must have been resident
in Australia for a reasonable period, usually 2 years".

Please correct me if I have misunderstood this point.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Might be hard to prove "settled" if it's less than two years. After all, the 2-out-of-5 rule is also used for RRV.

You should wait for the two years. I think sponsoring a parent over ultimately boils down to the amount of monies you're prepared to pony up - 10+ years or 18 months. I'd first do the research on if it's worth sponsoring a parent over. Not clear on that.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I'd first do the research on if it's worth sponsoring a parent over. Not clear on that.
When I was investigating this before, my parents felt that even with 2 years plus it was too long to wait since they are in their mid-seventies now and didn't like the idea of moving when they were close to 80.

Also we decided that the healthcare would be better for them in the UK since they receive free healthcare there (I love that it's called free healthcare but you actually pay for it every month through national insurance contributions :)).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I accept with information:the waiting is a pain but the joy you feel when you get the visa approved really is worth it! I know we'll be going through a similar thing with citizenship soon!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for valuable information.

Now ... fee of contributory parent is around AUD36000.
Does it cover both the parents and their dependant children or only one parent?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
One parent only. So 72000 for two parents. However you don't pay it all up front, you pay the large secondary fee when the visa is close to being granted.

Thank you for valuable information.

Now ... fee of contributory parent is around AUD36000.
Does it cover both the parents and their dependant children or only one parent?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi:

Right now you have:
1 Child PR in Australia
1 Child temp resident

Hi Amaslam

jumping in here,do you know what happens if there are 3 children, 1 in oz 2 in the uk but only 1 in uk of which are in contact with the parent, ( my father has a daughter who he hasnt seen in years for personal reasons) would this cause probs for the balance thing?
just looking ahead to what may happen in the future
thanks

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Amaslam

jumping in here,do you know what happens if there are 3 children, 1 in oz 2 in the uk but only 1 in uk of which are in contact with the parent, ( my father has a daughter who he hasnt seen in years for personal reasons) would this cause probs for the balance thing?
thanks
The website doesn't say anything about whether they are in touch, just where they live:
Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143)

·
Registered
104 Posts
The website doesn't say anything about whether they are in touch, just where they live:
Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143)
Hmmmmm, he is and has been (estraged? is that the word?) for a long time,
infact they never even met untill she was ver 20 and now in mid 40's( from a previous relationship b 4 he met mum) and their relationship has never been good..
sad to think it could throw a spanner in the works if Dad wanted to come out to us when we go, especially since mum has died now so he has my brother here (uk)and us there...( fingers crossed!):D

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hmmmmm, he is and has been (estraged? is that the word?) for a long time,
infact they never even met untill she was ver 20 and now in mid 40's( from a previous relationship b 4 he met mum) and their relationship has never been good..
sad to think it could throw a spanner in the works if Dad wanted to come out to us when we go, especially since mum has died now so he has my brother here (uk)and us there...( fingers crossed!):D
The best thing would be to ask an agent since they would know whether there is any way around that. Most of us on here aren't agents so we can only talk from personal experience or point members in the direction of the DIAC info.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I'm fairly sure this fails the balance of family test, I don't think DIAC even considers if you are in contact or not. Contact an agent to see if there is a way around this, but I don't see any leeway in the way the rules are written on the Immi website.

Hi Amaslam

thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts