Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya everyone

Watching Fantasy homes down under lastnight got us too excited, our 10 year plan has now been cut in half and we're working out ways to get down under quicker!

quick question regarding shippings costs, we will be renting for a while before we buy somewhere and were wondering how much anyone paid to ship their belongings over to auz?

all rental properties seem to be unfurnished.

Did you take everything, your beds, cooker, tv etc?

We had planned to save enough to buy all new furniture when we got over but if it works out a lot cheaper to just ship this could slash months off our plan!

thanks in advance
Christie

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi martins.. have u searched the forum for similar threads. from what i remember the cost was approximately 2500 for a container from UK. if you search u will get a lot of threads where the cost has been discussed.

cheers
anj

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Christie

We have just shipped our things over only last week. We chose PSS in the end but it all came down to price in the end. We paid £2450 for 505 cubic square feet and are sharing a container. If you want your own container you will pay alot more.

We have taken everything downstairs:- 3 peice suite, sideboards, display cabinets, table and 6 chairs, kitchen equipment etc, fridge freezer. Haven't taken range cooker/washing machine or dryer as i'm going to buy new ones. I am also buying new bedroom furniture etc. I have been told wooden furniture such as oak etc is expensive, also fridge freezers etc. We are buying bedroom furnitiure from ikea so i think they will be reasonable, but if you have good quality furniture i would definately take it with you.

My cousin is in Brisbane and she regrets not bringing more. Hope this helps and good-luck with your move.

ellisa

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
We shipped over a 40ft container from London to Melbourne 2 years ago with Harrow Green and that was about 6000 GBP. We took everything that wasn't too old (we'd been planing the move for about 5 years so some things weren't worth taking).

As Ellisa has obviously done, compare prices here in Oz and see what's affordable and what isn't - that will help you make up your mind.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

In which channel did you see that program, was it a series???

Thanks,
Busyte
I watched it on anytime TV on sky, its on the HOME channel at 10pm i think, think theres 5 in this series. its house prices from 2009 so its up to date.

christie

·
Registered
16 Posts
I watched it on anytime TV on sky, its on the HOME channel at 10pm i think, think theres 5 in this series. its house prices from 2009 so its up to date.

christie
Sky Channel 246 at 10pm for the past 2 nights, on again tonight where it's going to be in Queensland. Has done Brisbane and Adelaide already!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts