Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving to Dubai in a few months and just have a quick question on renting out there.

How much money do you need to start renting for a 75k a year apartment? I noticed they have options in 1 or 2 cheques, does that mean I have to pay half or all straight away?
I'm a bit confused and need some advice on this.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yes, the one or two cheques means you have to pay half or all of the rent in advance. You will also need to pay 5% commission (based on one year's rent) to the estate agent and a deposit of 5-10% depending of if unfurnished or furnished.

You also need to pay deposit to DEWA (for your electricity and water). For an apartment that would be 2000 AED.
They will also charge 5% (based on annual rent) housing charge spread out over 12 month's bills.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Also, adding to the costs above
(a) a minor expense would be registering the contract (Ejari)
(b) furnishing the apartment - a lot of apartments come with "white goods" (fridge, washing machine etc) but also a lot of them don't come with anything. This is apart from the actual furniture and curtains etc.
(c) if the apartment has district cooling then you may have to register and pay an upfront deposit for them
(d) For the internet connection, phone lines, TV connection there might be an upfront payment (e.g. Etisalat charges a month in advance)

·
Registered
864 Posts
...apart from the actual furniture and curtains etc...
dont underestimate how much good quality curtains cost.. when i moved, i pretty severely underestimated this component and was unplesantly surprised when i got the bill... i had budgeted a few hundred for all curtains, and just the living room came to a couple thou...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Also, adding to the costs above
(a) a minor expense would be registering the contract (Ejari)
(b) furnishing the apartment - a lot of apartments come with "white goods" (fridge, washing machine etc) but also a lot of them don't come with anything. This is apart from the actual furniture and curtains etc.
(c) if the apartment has district cooling then you may have to register and pay an upfront deposit for them
(d) For the internet connection, phone lines, TV connection there might be an upfront payment (e.g. Etisalat charges a month in advance)
Etisalat don't do that now. After connecting my eLife, first bill came after a month.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,931 Posts
dont underestimate how much good quality curtains cost.. when i moved, i pretty severely underestimated this component and was unplesantly surprised when i got the bill... i had budgeted a few hundred for all curtains, and just the living room came to a couple thou...
Hi,
We got made to measure curtains from one of the numerous curtain shops in Dragonmart.
They made the curtains, supplied the poles and fitted them all - for a fraction of what it would cost us in Europe.
As always, the cost depends where you go to get things in Dubai.
Cheers
Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts