Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been an infrequent lurker on this forum for a while and finally decided to try my luck with ACS. I have some queries around this which I am sharing:

Is a B.Com degree considered as ICT Minor NOT closely related to the nominated occupation ? Yes/No.

If not, why does applying via RPL take off 6 years from the applicants work history, whereas the ACS criteria says: "6 years relevant work experience completed
anytime in past work history plus a successful RPL application "?

I have checked the Summary-of-Criteria-2014 document, but there's no other mention of this deduction here. Can someone help me with these queries, greatly appreciate your insights.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
A BComm degree would be a finance major. If you had an ICT Minor, you'd have to see if the course content is related to your occupation or not.

If you don't have a relevant (ICT) degree or minor, you need to apply via RPL and the first 6 years of your work experience is considered to replace the need for a relevant education qualification. I'm not sure what you're asking to clarify about this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Maggie, what I want to know is this:

I have around 10 Years of ICT work experience, so if the first 6 years are adjusted against relevant education, I will then be left with 4 years worth of work experience. How many points should I expect here.

Secondly, I did some more reading and understand that I may be asked to get my BCom degree evaluated by VetAssess. Does the VetAssess evaluation require a referral from ACS or can it be done independently ?

Thanks and Regards
ROH

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have been an infrequent lurker on this forum for a while and finally decided to try my luck with ACS. I have some queries around this which I am sharing:

Is a B.Com degree considered as ICT Minor NOT closely related to the nominated occupation ? Yes/No.

If not, why does applying via RPL take off 6 years from the applicants work history, whereas the ACS criteria says: "6 years relevant work experience completed
anytime in past work history plus a successful RPL application "?

I have checked the Summary-of-Criteria-2014 document, but there's no other mention of this deduction here. Can someone help me with these queries, greatly appreciate your insights.
When they say 6 years of relevant workex, it means ACS considers 6 years of experience to consider one as skilled.
B.Com may be considered as AQF Diploma not closely related to your occupation.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
BCom won't be assessed by ACS. IMO, get it assessed from VETASSESS. They have an option to assess just the degree. You do not need any referral from ACS for it. That being said, long back in 2013, one member (rohitsharma I think) did not assess his BCom and claimed 15 points for it and got the visa grant without any problems. But, there have also been applicants who did get the degree assessed separately from VETASSESS to claim 15 points. I would suggest you do the same.

If you are left with 4 years of skilled experience as awarded by ACS, then you will gain 5 points for it.
3-5 years = 5 points
5-8 years = 10 points
8+ years = 15 points.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Keeda, I will proceed accordingly and post updates on the forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update

Thanks to all for the kind and much required advice.

So I went through the RPL route for ACS after advice from the forum and correspondence with the assigned ACS contact. ACS was positive followed by a positive result from Vetasses.

There after I sat for PTE Academic after a months preparation.
Some advised me to spend some more time preparing, but I felt confident and sat for the test.
Though it was my first attempt, it came out well.

Now I have submitted my EOI as on 24th March 2016. Lets see where this goes.
Waiting eagerly.

regards
ROH

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Congrats ROH. Make sure you interpret the ACS result correctly and claim the right amount of points. Years deducted cannot be counted towards points. You should mark only employment period after the skill-met-date (stated as "following employment after mm-yyyy is considered..." in the ACS result) as relevant and all the rest as not-relevant in your EOI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts