Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Need some quick advise on a lease (haven't signed yet).

Here are the three points that worry me:

"If the Tenant wished to conduct repairs or adjustments to the property he must do so at his own expense, but has to advise and seek permission from the landlord"

Nowhere else does it mention maintenance, does this mean I would have to cover maintenance on the apartment?

"The Tenant agrees to pay all taxes levied by the government on the subject of tenancy such as Municipality or other Taxes".

The agent assured me there were no taxes on this apartment. It doesn't even list what the taxes would be.

Obviously I can't sign this lease but any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Kris,
The first point is probably regarding major changes you may want to do in the apartment which has long term impact on the apartment like getting wallpaper done or changing the light fittings etc. So while you take the costs of such changes, you MUST check with the landlord IF you can do it as such these are significant changes. It is in your interests too, to check with the landlord before you introduce such changes.
General maintenance like getting the painting done once a year (upon lease renewal), or plumbing issues should ideally be be taken care of by the landlord. But small things like repair of an electric socket, you should do. It is prudent to ask to include a clause listing out what maintenance responsibilities are owned by the landlord.
As far as I know, municipality taxes are the only applicable taxes as of now and are borne by the tenant. However, this clause covers "all taxes" so if any new tax is imposed during the period of the lease, you will end up paying it unless (I presume) it is against legal requirements of such tax.
Hope his helps.
Renu

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kris,
The first point is probably regarding major changes you may want to do in the apartment which has long term impact on the apartment like getting wallpaper done or changing the light fittings etc. So while you take the costs of such changes, you MUST check with the landlord IF you can do it as such these are significant changes. It is in your interests too, to check with the landlord before you introduce such changes.
General maintenance like getting the painting done once a year (upon lease renewal), or plumbing issues should ideally be be taken care of by the landlord. But small things like repair of an electric socket, you should do. It is prudent to ask to include a clause listing out what maintenance responsibilities are owned by the landlord.
As far as I know, municipality taxes are the only applicable taxes as of now and are borne by the tenant. However, this clause covers "all taxes" so if any new tax is imposed during the period of the lease, you will end up paying it unless (I presume) it is against legal requirements of such tax.
Hope his helps

Renu

cheers, extremely helpul. The agent told me I did not have to pay taxes so will have to clear that up. And I definetly have no interest in being committed to future taxes. Also the agent has suggested on the maintenance issue that we add if anything over 100 DHS is required the landlord is responsible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great going.
I hope you have an exit clause in the Lease i.e while u pay rent in advance, in case you need to leave apartment in between, the penalty (like paying rent of one or two months) should be defined. Also, there should be clarity about what happens when the lease period expires. Are you expected to give notice if you do not intend to renew the lease? I have seen some lease agreements where if you fail to give notice that you do not intend to renew, the landlord charges u rent for a month or two !! Beware!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.