Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is great, thank you. Just done our reccy visit to Melbourne, and thoroughly in love with the place- lived in Cape Town for 6 years and think that Melbourne is a good compromise from the UK. I have a couple of random questions- one of which is a deciding factor in our move... Does anyone have any information regarding pensions? My husband has a final salary one, and is hesitant about losing it.. Any information welcomed...
And also regarding driving licences, if you have a UK driving licence do you need to get an Australian one or can you use an international one long term? Thanks

G

·
He wouldn't lose his pension. He obviously couldn't pay into it but he would simply claim it once he was of pension age. Or he could transfer it in to an Australian pension but once there he couldn't take it out again if you decided you didn't want to stay in Australia.

You can exchange a full British license for an australian one if you are PR with no test other than eyesight.

What visa are you thinking you might qualify for? Though you do know its all change in July for skilled migration?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He wouldn't lose his pension. He obviously couldn't pay into it but he would simply claim it once he was of pension age. Or he could transfer it in to an Australin pension but once there he couldn't take it out again if you decided you didn't want to stay in Australia.

You can exchange a full British license for an australian one if you are PR with no test other than eyesight.

What visa are you thinking you might qualify for? Though you do know its all change in July for skilled migration?
We already have our visa, a work related one, my husband is an accountant... Do you know if final salary pensions are common place there? Or how much people generally pay into a pension to maintain a good lifestyle? My husband is 42,
Great news on the driving licence!!!
Thanks for the quick response... am missing melbourne heaps, it just feels right, and the uk isn't a great place to live these days.
Xn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.