Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a few questions on the matters of getting the appropriate information for the visa.

Me and my partner are both Canadians, 26 years old. We have been in a relationship for 7 years and have been living together for 5 years.

He has been accepted into a PhD program at the University of Sheffield, and I would like to join him. It appears I can under the Tier 4 Dependant visa.

I am worried about a few things after reading everything in this forum as to what sort of documentations we need. I'll just narrow it down to three questions for now:

1) The most stress, showing we have been living together for 2 years. You think this shouldn't be hard, being together for 5. :noidea:
I moved to the current city we are living in, and so have always changed all my official documents (health care, bank statements, drivers license, etc) to every house we've been in. He on the other hand grew up here, and has left most of his mail for his parents mailing address. So no bank statements, no health care, etc.
We've always rented from houses that have multiple tenants per property (e.g. we currently live on the main floor with other tenants in the basement suite) and so utilities are always addressed to the landlord, who then divides them up between the tenants. I pay for the Internet, but its only in my name.
The only things that we have that we can find so far are: The lease, Tenant Insurance, paystubs (that have always had our current address on it).
I doubt this is enough? What do you guys think? I'm going to dig through all the letters I have saved and see if I can find anything more.
Could we get a sworn and notarized document stating our relationship?

2) Finances.
We get that we both have to have enough money for 9 months of living in the UK. I have money in a Trust Fund that I can take out, but I'd rather not unless absolutely necessary. His PhD position pays more than enough for both of us to be living in the UK for 9 months, coupled with he has some savings in his account as well.
Adding to some stress right now, even though I'm currently working I haven't got paid in 8 weeks, because of some silly beaurocracy holding up money in a grant till all the paperwork is signed and its going through slowly. I will finally get paid (and back-paid) on July 10th, but because of me 'working for free' right now, I don't have any savings in my account.

Because it is a dependent visa, his paycheck as well as saving should be enough to cover for me though right? I don't need excess funds on top of his, particularly if we are applying together?

3) Accommodation/Travelling together
We are planning on renting a house/flat when we get there. Since we have a pet cat, and we also don't want to rent a place sight-unseen, the idea is my partner will head there first and secure a place to live in September. Then I will arrive after with our cat, likely late September or early October.

The online application asks for accommodation for where we are living once we get there. Right now we just have the hotel that he will be staying while he is house hunting. Is this appropriate? Do they really expect us to have a permanent living place before even going there?

Coupled with this, often in the online application it asks if we will be travelling together. The meaning of this in the application is vague, but I would assume the answer to be 'no', because I will be arriving 3-4 weeks after he gets there. Do you all think this is correct?

Thanks for any tips on this. It all seemed so straight forward, but after reading the stress it is causing everyone here on the forum its getting me worried. :confused2::confused:

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
#1 You probably have enough.
#2 As Canadian, your partner doesn't need to produce any financial documents, but they should be available in case they are asked.
#3 Not permanent but at least prospective accommodation available when you move over. Get unsigned tenancy agreement, communications with rental agency/landlord etc. Or if you have friends or relatives you can stay temporarily with, you can submit their details.
You aren't travelling together.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.