Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am in the process of doing my (175) online application and I have a couple of questions:

1. In 2009 my family and I visited Australia for a 3 week vacation. My wife is Canadian and my kids are US citizens so all they needed was a ETA application from the "Electronic Travel Authority System". Should I enter this information in the "Current or Previous Visas" section. If so, do I use the "Tourist visa" option.

2. I have an Bachelor and a separate Honours degree from South Africa. I got a "C" for my Honours degree, so I assume I use the selection "Honours Degree(other)". I assume 1st class or (upper and 2nd Class) are for very high grades? Correct?

3. I have been working as a Senior Software Engineer for just over 10 years with my current employer. Should I enter in previous employment. (I have 18 years total)

Thanks guys for a very helpful forum!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hi,

I am in the process of doing my (175) online application and I have a couple of questions:

1. In 2009 my family and I visited Australia for a 3 week vacation. My wife is Canadian and my kids are US citizens so all they needed was a ETA application from the "Electronic Travel Authority System". Should I enter this information in the "Current or Previous Visas" section. If so, do I use the "Tourist visa" option.

2. I have an Bachelor and a separate Honours degree from South Africa. I got a "C" for my Honours degree, so I assume I use the selection "Honours Degree(other)". I assume 1st class or (upper and 2nd Class) are for very high grades? Correct?

3. I have been working as a Senior Software Engineer for just over 10 years with my current employer. Should I enter in previous employment. (I have 18 years total)

Thanks guys for a very helpful forum!
1. Yes you need to mention previous visa since it was in 2009, should be as "Tourism/Tourist Visa"

2. Which degree did you use for your skills assessment by ACS ? If you didn't use the honor's degree for your assessment then Just select Bachelor otherwise select Honors(other) if you included both, 1st class & 2nd class is for higher graders, however i am not sure what is the southafrican equivalent of 2nd class (it maybe C)...Anyways having higher grades won't get you more points so it won't matter (up to masters degree same points as bachelors)

3. You need to enter the work experience you claimed on your skills assessment, did you claim all 18 years on your skills assessment?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
First class, second class, etc is an EU system. Typically, to obtain a first class, you would need to have scored 70+, upper second class is 60 - 69%, lower second is 50 - 59%, third class is 40 - 49% . Provided that you know your marks, you can more or less select the right one, bearing in mind that there may be slight variations in how degrees are marked and assessed worldwide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Great, thanks. I left the "Place of Issue" and "Visa Number" blank. Unfortunately I don't have any paperwork for it. Just the ETA Confirmation Numbers.

2. Since I got a "C", which is 60%-69%, I think I'll just play it safe and select Honours (Other) given that it has no effect on the points.

3. In the Skills assessment it lists all my employers for the last 18 years, so I'll go ahead and enter in them all in.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.