Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,

I need some information before making a decision on when to come to Australia.
I'm having a PR (with State Sponsorship) which is valid till Dec 2017. Right now I'm working in US and my current project end date is May 2016.
As of now, my plans are to come to Australia after completion of my existing project over here in USA.

As per my understanding of rules for the issue of RRV, If I'm in Australia for atleast 2 of the previous 5 years, then I'll be granted an RRV visa for another 5 yrs, else it may be 2 years or 1 year or 3 months in some cases.

1) Now say I come to AUS in June 2016 and I have to travel out of AUS in Feb 2018, what may be the tenure of the RRV which will be granted to me ?

2) Now say I come to AUS in June 2016 and I have to travel out of AUS in June 2018, what may be the tenure of the RRV which will be granted to me ?

3) Hypothetically, lets assume that I came to AUS in Jan 2017 and I had applied for RRV in Jan 2018 and I have received an RRV for 1 year (valid till Jan 2019). Now when I apply for RRV again in Jan 2019, will I be getting RRV for 5 years or is it going to be valid only for 1 more year.

4) If I come to AUS in Jan 2017, do you feel my prospective employer would be having an issue as I have a valid multiple entry visa which is valid only for 1 year ? I ask this question because over here in US, your chances of landing in a job depends on the tenure of your visa.

Are there any issues / questions / concerns which might hamper my chance of getting a longer tenure RRV ?
Thanks for your responses in advance as this would really help in taking a decision on when to come to AUS.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Hi Friends, I need some information before making a decision on when to come to Australia. I'm having a PR (with State Sponsorship) which is valid till Dec 2017. Right now I'm working in US and my current project end date is May 2016. As of now, my plans are to come to Australia after completion of my existing project over here in USA. As per my understanding of rules for the issue of RRV, If I'm in Australia for atleast 2 of the previous 5 years, then I'll be granted an RRV visa for another 5 yrs, else it may be 2 years or 1 year or 3 months in some cases. 1) Now say I come to AUS in June 2016 and I have to travel out of AUS in Feb 2018, what may be the tenure of the RRV which will be granted to me ? 2) Now say I come to AUS in June 2016 and I have to travel out of AUS in June 2018, what may be the tenure of the RRV which will be granted to me ? 3) Hypothetically, lets assume that I came to AUS in Jan 2017 and I had applied for RRV in Jan 2018 and I have received an RRV for 1 year (valid till Jan 2019). Now when I apply for RRV again in Jan 2019, will I be getting RRV for 5 years or is it going to be valid only for 1 more year. 4) If I come to AUS in Jan 2017, do you feel my prospective employer would be having an issue as I have a valid multiple entry visa which is valid only for 1 year ? I ask this question because over here in US, your chances of landing in a job depends on the tenure of your visa. Are there any issues / questions / concerns which might hamper my chance of getting a longer tenure RRV ? Thanks for your responses in advance as this would really help in taking a decision on when to come to AUS.
If you have spent less than 2 years out of the past 5 years in Australia, you will get either a 1 year or 3 month RRV. Otherwise it will be a 5 year RRV.

The RRV is only necessary if you plan to leave Australia and return as a PR. As a PR, you can remain in Australia indefinitely even if the visa has expired.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts