Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am considering a Director (of Healthcare IT) position with a U.S. healthcare organization that has a presence in the U.A.E. This particular position would be at a small hospital in Abu Dhabi. So in essence, I would still be working for a U.S. company, but in a location in the U.A.E.

The job I am interviewing for would normally pay about $120,000 to $140,000 USD in my area of the U.S. (Western Pennsylvania). Keep in mind, my area (Pittsburgh) has a very low cost of living compared to New York or San Fan.

I need some advice from the current or former U.S. expats or experts in the area about the following:

1) What sort of an accommodation package should I be negotiating for? I would love to live around other expats in Abu Dhabi if possible. A nicer 1-2 bed apartment would suffice (I'm unmarried, no kids. Girlfriend, but she would only visit occasionally). Preferably around/at a beach. In your experience, how much do U.S. companies usually give for accommodations and how much should I expect the actual rent to be?
And, is it even worth it to be at a beach? As in, is it usable during the warmer/summer months?

2) Transportation/automobile package. Do U.S. companies do any sort of negotiating for this? If so, what should I aim for and what should I expect? Would they essentially lease me a vehicle or just give me a stipend of some sort?

3) Travel back to the U.S. -- I am assuming that part of the expat deal would be airfare back home to visit a couple of times a year. In your experience, what is the usual negotiated amount/number and what should I be aiming for?

4) I understand from my research that once the whole resident process for UAE is completed, the firs $95K (or so) of my salary would be untaxed. However, does this still apply if I am getting paid back in the U.S. (since I would still officially be employed by the U.S. company) even though my actual position is located out in Abu Dhabi?

I am still in the beginning phases of the interview process, however the position is a very good fit for my background so I don't foresee many issues. Which is why I am doing my homework beforehand, before they have even had a chance to talk to me about their expat packages, just so I am not wasting time.

Will appreciate any tips or pieces of info!

Thank you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello,

I am considering a Director (of Healthcare IT) position with a U.S. healthcare organization that has a presence in the U.A.E. This particular position would be at a small hospital in Abu Dhabi. So in essence, I would still be working for a U.S. company, but in a location in the U.A.E.

The job I am interviewing for would normally pay about $120,000 to $140,000 USD in my area of the U.S. (Western Pennsylvania). Keep in mind, my area (Pittsburgh) has a very low cost of living compared to New York or San Fan.

I need some advice from the current or former U.S. expats or experts in the area about the following:

1) What sort of an accommodation package should I be negotiating for? I would love to live around other expats in Abu Dhabi if possible. A nicer 1-2 bed apartment would suffice (I'm unmarried, no kids. Girlfriend, but she would only visit occasionally). Preferably around/at a beach. In your experience, how much do U.S. companies usually give for accommodations and how much should I expect the actual rent to be?
And, is it even worth it to be at a beach? As in, is it usable during the warmer/summer months?

2) Transportation/automobile package. Do U.S. companies do any sort of negotiating for this? If so, what should I aim for and what should I expect? Would they essentially lease me a vehicle or just give me a stipend of some sort?

3) Travel back to the U.S. -- I am assuming that part of the expat deal would be airfare back home to visit a couple of times a year. In your experience, what is the usual negotiated amount/number and what should I be aiming for?

4) I understand from my research that once the whole resident process for UAE is completed, the firs $95K (or so) of my salary would be untaxed. However, does this still apply if I am getting paid back in the U.S. (since I would still officially be employed by the U.S. company) even though my actual position is located out in Abu Dhabi?

I am still in the beginning phases of the interview process, however the position is a very good fit for my background so I don't foresee many issues. Which is why I am doing my homework beforehand, before they have even had a chance to talk to me about their expat packages, just so I am not wasting time.

Thank you.
a) Please specify the years of "relevant" exp you have to check the $ range.

1) Here the trick is Base+Housing Allowance+transport Allowance = total AED (or $). Institutions try to keep Base low in order to payout less at the end of service..so housing $ is buried in the split above. If your company is offering a housing rent allowance on top of $120-$140 boy you are rocking.

2) same as above
3) standard pack (once a year coach,) you may be able to extract better terms
4) my understanding one has to live and earn outside to get tax exemption.. I could be wrong. there are lots of folks here who know better.:flame:

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hello,

Thank you.
1) Entirely subjective, but for the sake of numbers: ask yourself what you'd want to get paid, whack 25% on top of that for housing.

2) Transportation is unlikely, and this will heavily depend on which American hospital we're talking about. If it's that JV with a little clinic from Ohio (sounds like it), you can probably just expect cash as is the norm these days with government.

3) You'll get money to buy one set of round-trip tickets for yourself.

4) The foreign earned income exclusion should be just that, based on where it's earned as opposed to where it's paid. 2013 exclusion is $97,600 but you're allowed to add either a standard deduction or itemised (rent, transport) on top of it. Still recommend speaking to a proper accountant mind you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a) Please specify the years of "relevant" exp you have to check the $ range.

1) Here the trick is Base+Housing Allowance+transport Allowance = total AED (or $). Institutions try to keep Base low in order to payout less at the end of service..so housing $ is buried in the split above. If your company is offering a housing rent allowance on top of $120-$140 boy you are rocking.

2) same as above
3) standard pack (once a year coach,) you may be able to extract better terms
4) my understanding one has to live and earn outside to get tax exemption.. I could be wrong. there are lots of folks here who know better.:flame:
Thank you for the tip about the base in relation to the rest split. Here's to hoping that they offer rent/housing on top of that! Not sure yet though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1) Entirely subjective, but for the sake of numbers: ask yourself what you'd want to get paid, whack 25% on top of that for housing.

2) Transportation is unlikely, and this will heavily depend on which American hospital we're talking about. If it's that JV with a little clinic from Ohio (sounds like it), you can probably just expect cash as is the norm these days with government.

3) You'll get money to buy one set of round-trip tickets for yourself.

4) The foreign earned income exclusion should be just that, based on where it's earned as opposed to where it's paid. 2013 exclusion is $97,600 but you're allowed to add either a standard deduction or itemised (rent, transport) on top of it. Still recommend speaking to a proper accountant mind you.
The 25% rule helps! If nothing else it'll give me an approximate # to aim for based on salary alone.

Hahaha, you're close with the Cleveland Clinic bit, but I'm interviewing with Johns Hopkins. But I am assuming their practices in reimbursement for housing are similar; so cash on top of salary for housing is the norm then.

The consensus seems to be one round-trip. That's disappointing; I was hoping that the average was at least two. I will try to negotiate a higher number but I am pretty sure they will offer a per-packaged deal if the time comes for an offer.

Good to know about the foreign income tax!

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The 25% rule helps! If nothing else it'll give me an approximate # to aim for based on salary alone.

Hahaha, you're close with the Cleveland Clinic bit, but I'm interviewing with Johns Hopkins. But I am assuming their practices in reimbursement for housing are similar; so cash on top of salary for housing is the norm then.

The consensus seems to be one round-trip. That's disappointing; I was hoping that the average was at least two. I will try to negotiate a higher number but I am pretty sure they will offer a per-packaged deal if the time comes for an offer.

THANK YOU!
It'll still likely to be an all-in package they quote you; basic, transport, housing. The end-of-service-benefit (lump sum pension) will only be based on the basic element.

Be warned, a lot of landlords can and will ask for an entire years recent upfront in a single cheque.

UAE labour law is one round-trip ticket, could negotiate it, but it won't be standard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It'll still likely to be an all-in package they quote you; basic, transport, housing. The end-of-service-benefit (lump sum pension) will only be based on the basic element.

Be warned, a lot of landlords can and will ask for an entire years recent upfront in a single cheque.

UAE labour law is one round-trip ticket, could negotiate it, but it won't be standard.
Ah! So if they're asking for the entire year's rent upfront, that would clearly not be conducive to having any $ rolled into the salary for accommodations anyway, which lends itself to what you said earlier. Good to know.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Ah! So if they're asking for the entire year's rent upfront, that would clearly not be conducive to having any $ rolled into the salary for accommodations anyway, which lends itself to what you said earlier. Good to know.
Works in a number of ways:
1 - Package has a lump-sum accommodation allowance
2 - Accommodation is paid by the employer up to whatever the limit is
3 - Advances can be taken, but then paid back monthly; or
4 - Sling your hook, you're getting paid monthly and you've to fend for yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts

THANK YOU!

Do you mean 25% more base salary compared to US base salary or we talking about the total package(base+accomodation+transport)

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I was brought over here for a "sales manager" position but am now COO.

What I received was:

About 25% salary increase over my US salary
Housing paid (two bedroom in the Marina)
Vehicle + gas
Mobile

I jut paid my years rent today, 130,000, glad it was a company check and not my own! (and glad my landlord "only" raised rent 5k this year)

You get the tax exclusion + personal deductions ($3k each) + some type of housing credit, as others say you need a pro to figure it out but if you only spend 35 days back home the first year it becomes easy to qualify no matter how you are paid (I was a 10 year expat with an American company years before my current position). You really shouldn't be paying taxes if you are in the low 100's.

I get a ticket back once a year, 30 work days off though per year, so am back more often. The company policy is Y class but I can book a high fare so an upgrade is easy and not too painful.

Personally I wouldn't come over for less than that and I told them so (received an extra 6% because I whined about no social security contribution from them).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts