Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
As I stated in my first post last week I am a widow in France and the French administration truly intimidates me. In the past my husband handled all things administrative pertaining to me and I am at a loss. (One misunderstood word or verb tense changes everything!)

In January 2018 my first 10 year resident card expires. Stupidly while my husband was ill for almost 5 years his health became the center of our attention and I never applied for nor pushed French citizenship through marriage. (Now too many documents and complicated story relating to deed on house.)

I went to the departmental prefecture and they sent me away and said come back in late October/November. At the time the woman would not comment on the documents needed or the necessary formula to be completed because of the upcoming presidential elections after the first primary. (Is this enough time, because I have a CDI and every year they ask me for a copy of my resident card?)

A. Am I correct in understanding that because of my age (60) I will be automatically granted a permanent resident card?

B. Further, having signed a “contrat d’acceuil” for delivery of the carte de resident 10 years issued in 2008 am I correct in understanding that I will not be required to have a DELF certificate. (I have the two attestations for the 6 hour “stages”, necessary medical certificate and a certificate dispensing me from the linguistic formation. (OFFI is sending “une attestation récapitulative d’immigrant”.)

C. Do I need to write a letter of motivation? (And if yes, do I simply ask for a renewal or do I specifically say that I want a permanent resident card being 60+ in age?)

D. On the backside of my resident card it clearly states that address changes should be signaled immediately to the prefecture. I still live at the same address. (But I noticed on the form that the Mayor’s secretary showed me it asks if the application is for a renewal or a change of civil status. Which box do I check?)
I never changed “mon etat civil” which freaks me out.

E. They say photocopies of passport and all relevant pages of entry/exit into France are necessary. (Do I need a new birth certificate with a new translation?)

Any input on my understanding of the “carte resident permanent” and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Cheers, Amy

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
OK, don't overthink things, but I think you're probably in better shape than you think.

First of all - what is it you want to do? Do you want to renew your 10 year carte de residente or do you want to go for French nationality? At this point, if you apply for French nationality right now, it's probably unlikely that it will come through before you would have to renew your carte de residente. Normally the "inquiry" they do takes close to a year before you have your paperwork.

In the case of the "permanent" residence card, that should be what they offer you because you've already had a 10 year card and you are over the age of 60. Details (in French) are here: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F11201 And they say that you need to check the requirements on the website of your prefecture. It may be necessary to take an appointment online (they say 4 to 5 months before your current card expires).

In any event, take a look at the Service Public page and then see what they say on the website for your prefecture. It should be fairly easy but, like so many things here in France, each prefecture has its own take on the details.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good morning Bevedeforges,

Thankyou. Presently will go for the Permanent resident card. (I know I am overthinking things, I call that stressing on my end.) Shall make an appointment on line in September.

Have a lovely day.
Amy

Cheers, Amy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts