Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am moving to Australia on a working holiday visa in the next few weeks and have a few questions I'm hoping you can help with.

Most importantly, when I arrive in Australia, do I get ANY stamps in my passport (even small entry stamp)? I have virtually zero space in my passport, so if I need space for stamps, I might need to apply for a new passport prior to arrival.

I have experience in banking operations in England and my girlfriend works in marketing. Do you think we would be able to find temp roles in these areas on a working holiday visa?

We're looking for somewhere as cheap as possible to stay in Sydney, with not too much commute to the CBD. Any recommendations and ideas of rental costs? We'll be looking for either a studio apartment or double room in a shared house/flat.

Thanks for any information!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
1. Yes, you will get stamped. The UK is a visa waiver country but you still get a stamp in the PP.
2. Possibly, you have the right to work, perhaps there are some casual jobs, but retail probably makes more sense.
3. On a train line is recommended. Check out 131500.info for maps and then realestate.com.au for rentals. Sydney has low vacancy rates do don't expect this to be that easy. You'll get a better idea from a real estate agent.

Hi all,

I am moving to Australia on a working holiday visa in the next few weeks and have a few questions I'm hoping you can help with.

Most importantly, when I arrive in Australia, do I get ANY stamps in my passport (even small entry stamp)? I have virtually zero space in my passport, so if I need space for stamps, I might need to apply for a new passport prior to arrival.

I have experience in banking operations in England and my girlfriend works in marketing. Do you think we would be able to find temp roles in these areas on a working holiday visa?

We're looking for somewhere as cheap as possible to stay in Sydney, with not too much commute to the CBD. Any recommendations and ideas of rental costs? We'll be looking for either a studio apartment or double room in a shared house/flat.

Thanks for any information!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Yes, you will get stamped. The UK is a visa waiver country but you still get a stamp in the PP.
2. Possibly, you have the right to work, perhaps there are some casual jobs, but retail probably makes more sense.
3. On a train line is recommended. Check out 131500.info for maps and then realestate.com.au for rentals. Sydney has low vacancy rates do don't expect this to be that easy. You'll get a better idea from a real estate agent.
Amaslam, thanks for the information. Just curious, when you say retail, I assume you mean shop work etc.? Why do you think that makes more sense? I would have thought with the operations experience I have it would make more sense to look for an office job?

Do you recommend using an estate agent over private rentals (through Gum tree, for example)? I would really like to get somewhere as soon as possible to avoid paying for hostels for too long, we're not really that fussy so I thought a private rental might be easier to sort out?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I did mean retail as that is where most casual jobs are. The WHV intent is for people to have a holiday and earn some income. While your experience is for office due to the time limit of a WHV most companies will spend their time and effort interviewing local candidates or those with PR visas.

You can use private and agents, but availability is an issue, most AU cities have an undersupply of housing so I don't think any sort of rental is going to be easy. You can look into holiday rentals as well or housesit as alternatives. Ultimately hostels may be your only choice.

Amaslam, thanks for the information. Just curious, when you say retail, I assume you mean shop work etc.? Why do you think that makes more sense? I would have thought with the operations experience I have it would make more sense to look for an office job?

Do you recommend using an estate agent over private rentals (through Gum tree, for example)? I would really like to get somewhere as soon as possible to avoid paying for hostels for too long, we're not really that fussy so I thought a private rental might be easier to sort out?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did mean retail as that is where most casual jobs are. The WHV intent is for people to have a holiday and earn some income. While your experience is for office due to the time limit of a WHV most companies will spend their time and effort interviewing local candidates or those with PR visas.

You can use private and agents, but availability is an issue, most AU cities have an undersupply of housing so I don't think any sort of rental is going to be easy. You can look into holiday rentals as well or housesit as alternatives. Ultimately hostels may be your only choice.
You really think it will be that difficult?? Looking at the number of new postings on Gum tree every day I thought finding a place to live would be the least of our worries. If we are willing to take a 6-month lease on a property, I can't see why we would be at any disadvantage to any local person looking for a place to live, and I can't imagine they resort to living in hostels!! Undersupply or not, if there are still plenty of places being advertised (which there certainly seem to be), I can't see why we would have any problem finding somewhere if we are not too picky. Has anyone else experienced difficulties in regards to finding somewhere to rent in Sydney? I certainly hope not to be living in a hostel for 6 months, not least because of the costs involved.

I have spoken to a few recruitment agencies today and they seem pretty optimistic about me finding banking work. They said the job market is really picking up at the moment and a lot of companies are happy to take on WHV applicants for short-term back office operations roles, so hopefully I won't have too much trouble from that perspective.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts